Menu Item: Problems Tossed Salad

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Site Founder

Tonight was interesting. It seems that each of the Prius' "problems" dug me into a little hole.

First, I was trying to find a destination that, naturally was not placed correctly on the NAV. I typed in the address and then got lost when it was not at the target.

After cruising around for a bit and trying to dissect the map onscreen, I felt an urge to make a U-turn. I just happened to be on a one-lane (each way) road. Now, the Prius' turning radius may be magnificent, but perhaps I was a bit audacious. A small grass ditch was happy to meet my car on the other side of hte road.

Immediately after coming to a stop, the forward acceleration seemed to have given out. I even floored it, but to no avail. The car did not respond. This, I thought, must have been traction control (?), though I thought it odd to act like this. I almost thought I wouldn't be able to back out, but surprisingly enough, reverse worked fine. I made a very interesting 3-point turn in the end.

Now on the road but still not knowing where I was, I attempted to find my way back onto the proper road, but the nav has no option for this. It would only search for an "intersection," but the two roads that I believe connected did not show up. There *should* be an option to find the nearest path to any road. That would be great.

In the end, I used common sense (read that part with a sarcastic tone) and decided to head North on the road of choice rather than South, even though the address was # S. Road. I admit, it wasn't the Prius' fault this time, but rather Orlando's. Why in the world was my destination on the North side?

All's well that ends well, and I got where I needed to go, but I was indeed 45 minutes late. And to think I could have avoided all this if the NAV had been accurate... :blink:

Old 02-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah - I gotta say I am pretty miffed with the quality of the info on the Nav system. My particular area seems to be on the order of at least 5 years out of date - though some items are strangely included.

Some of the aggravating things I have are:

My street appears to be numbered backward - a feature it has not had for at least 7 years.

My route to work has a stretch of road I have been driving for over 3 years - and does not look new, but is not included AT ALL on the map -= the road up to it ends and I travel on empty space for 1/4 mile.

And my favourite: The dealership where I bought the car is incorrectly placed about 2 miles away from it's actual location - and they have been there over 14 years!

There are many more. Suffice it to say, I am glad I spent my formative years doing auto rallyes. That kind of thing improves your navagation skills admirably!

Jack

Old 02-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Site Founder

Amen. Of course, we've heard rumors that Toyota may offer replacement DVDs during the first quarter, but that has yet to be seen. They may very well demand a fee for such a replacement -- I doubt we'd be thrilled. The disk is in no way useless, but I honesly feel as if it defeats its own purpose: I can't trust it. I use backup paper directions!

Old 02-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jason@Feb 23rd 2004 @ 11:07 PM
Amen. Of course, we've heard rumors that Toyota may offer replacement DVDs during the first quarter, but that has yet to be seen. They may very well demand a fee for such a replacement -- I doubt we'd be thrilled. The disk is in no way useless, but I honesly feel as if it defeats its own purpose: I can't trust it. I use backup paper directions!
Eeeewwww...!! Paper?

My wife wonders why I have the thing navigate me home all the time - she doesn't understand I am learning it's quirks!

J

Old 02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Site Founder

Yes, paper. Makes real sense, right? Wrong!