oil change

Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default oil change

My dealer in Long Beach, CA recommends oil changes every 1500 miles, but I must say, with a wink and a nod, as I've brought it in at 3000+ with no finger wagging.

Well, here I am in Rapid City, SD. I bring the car in w/1700+ and their maintainence supervisor say 5000 miles, and he recorded that on the next oil change sticker.

Last edited by centrider; 05-31-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Default Re: oil change

Originally Posted by centrider
My dealer in Long Beach, CA recommends oil changes every 1500 miles, but I must say, with a wink and a nod, as I've brought it in at 3000+ with no finger wagging.

Well, here I am in Rapid City, SD. I bring the car in w/1700+ and their maintainence supervisor say 5000 miles, and he recorded that on the next oil change sticker.
ery

OK. Read the FAQ and there it is -every 5,000.

Thanks, Bob

Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

With today's formulations and additive packages, 5,000 miles of normal driving conditions is not too far to drive on an oil change. They are just trying to make more money off of you.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
ery

OK. Read the FAQ and there it is -every 5,000.

Thanks, Bob
You should have also received a Toyota Prius Scheduled Maintenance Guide with your Prius to record maintenance in.

It says every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

A warning light will also come on in your dashboard, once you have gone 5,000 miles since it was reset.

If you really want to BABY your Prius, change it every 3,000 miles. Or simply use synthetic oil when you change it every 5,000. But every 1,500?? That is ridiculous.

You need to realize that folks often develop an emotional bond with their Prius. And can thus go overboard sometimes, just as some people do when they are in love.

The warning sign is when you find yourself telling your Prius that you it.

Sounds like your local garage may be trying to take advantage of your feelings for your Prius.

Lance

Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lance from Oregon
You should have also received a Toyota Prius Scheduled Maintenance Guide with your Prius to record maintenance in.

It says every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

A warning light will also come on in your dashboard, once you have gone 5,000 miles since it was reset.

If you really want to BABY your Prius, change it every 3,000 miles. Or simply use synthetic oil when you change it every 5,000. But every 1,500?? That is ridiculous.

You need to realize that folks often develop an emotional bond with their Prius. And can thus go overboard sometimes, just as some people do when they are in love.

The warning sign is when you find yourself telling your Prius that you it.

Sounds like your local garage may be trying to take advantage of your feelings for your Prius.

Lance

This was the first time since I bought the car in Feb., 06 that I changed oil so soon. To the dealer's credit here in Rapid City, SD He told me I need not change it so soon. Well, hell-30 bucks. But he did write the windshield sticker for 5000 miles.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

The obligatory "Check the oil level" comment may be warranted. Most Prius I've seen are over filled. All the one's I've checked on dealer lots are over-filled (don't ask me how that is supposed to work).

Point is, I always measure out the oil and give them pre-measured amounts (3.25 QT). If you don't feel like springing for your oil, at the risk of insulting them, bring them out to your car and have them with you when you check the oil level. Tell the tech to check the level before he returns it and to verify that it's not beyond "full". If you want to make them feel better say that toyota-messed up and the car doesn't take 4 QT, and should only use 3 to 3 1/2 QT.

In actuality it takes 3.90 QT dry volume. Problem is oil is designed to flow slowly (vicious), so unless you have a week to wait for 3.90 QT to drip-drip-drip out of your oil pan, your only gonna get about 3 to 3 1/2 QT drain before they plug the pan and start fillin'.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I get mine changed every 5K with synthetic oil to 3/4 full each time. My dealership wanted to fill it full only but I emailed Toyota directly and the dealer relented. It would probably be safe to go 10k on it. Only warranty considerations keep from going that long.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Engine oil level: There is no advantage to being above above 'dipstick full' even though it is a common result from oil changes at the Toyota dealerships. The cars appear to be shipped that way, as well. Whether there is any harm to being a bit over has not been established. A little bit below wouldn't hurt either. Substantially over might lead to oil foaming; undesireable.

Engine oil change intervals: From 2001-2003, Prius was on a 7500 mile change interval, using their conventional non-synthetic oil. Now with the new model Prius, it is 5000 miles in the USA. I know of no reason why the longer interval would not work for either model Prius. Based upon used oil analyses (UOA), Mobil (and some other) synthetic oils have proven themselves for 12k miles, at least. However frequently you might wish to change your oil is your business.

Warranty implications: The Prius gas engine has a 36k mile US warranty. AFAIK *nobody* has been able to hurt them during that time. Based on Prius UOA, I can say that the engine simply *does not* shed wear metals. If ever someone confronts an engine failure, precedent UOAs might 'simplify' a negotiation under the Magnuson-Moss law.

Post-warranty: change conventional oil and filter at 5 or 7.5k miles. If you want longer intervals, use synthetic oil at 12 k intervals. If you really want to know a lot about how *your* engine is doing, pay an additional $20 for a UOA. Presenting UOA results in the public internet groups might help everybody to understand the Prius engine a bit better. The largest compilation of UOA is now at PriusChat. Please add yours there, it will help the 'team'.

Environmental implications: dumping used oil on the ground will probably have a negative imapct on potable water supplies, eventually. Nobody does that, right? Recycling oil is much preferable, but even then, it is hard to be sure. Some recycled oil gets filtered and re-bottled as 'cheapest stuff'. Most gets burned as bunker oil by transoceanic shipping. Just an enviro-whacko talking here, but the less we add to those streams, the better.

First thing is to keep your Prius (or other car) happy. UOA are helpful there. Second thing is to keep your 'emissions' low. I have tried to tell you how. The rest is up to you.

DAS

Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
The Prius gas engine has a 36k mile US warranty.
This is not correct information. The Prius comes with a 60 month/60,000 mile powertrain (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags) warranty.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the correction Picasso. AFAIK no one has been able to damage their Prius engine in 60k either.

No, wait - at least one of the full engine oil losses ended poorly and it may have been at a lower mileage.

DAS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands