Prius Bragging Rights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Prius Bragging Rights

I thought this was interesting, I found it on the web....

Enjoy!

I've been lurking around Prius Sites for over two years now, reading all the info that I could find and trying to learn as much as possible about the Prius before buying one.

Let me introduce myself - I'm an engineering student at the University of Colorado, though I'm not a 'hippie', at least not in the traditional sense. My father is a EE, and I'm majoring in ECE, so you can see why the Prius has a certain attraction. I believe in environmentalism, but not at any cost - I believe that engineering is the only real solution to our environmental problems, which is why I'm so supportive of technologies like next-generation nuclear reactors (e.g. pebble bed), high-efficency HVAC and other building controls, co-generation (the University of Colorado produces 37MW of electric power and uses the waste steam to heat buildings), and, of course, advanced vehicles like the Prius.

As an ECE, I'm the kind of person who will be engineering things like the Prius. EEs work on electronic systems, CS majors work on software, ECEs work on software that deals with hardware (firmware).

The Prius is so amazing because it represents the future of the vehicle as we know it. The pundits like to tout HSD as "expensive", but from a systems engineering perspective it is a system that is simpler, less wear prone, and, ultimately, less expensive than a conventional transmission. Torque converters, clutches, and syncromeshes all share manufacturing complexity that simply does not exist in HSD. HSD also manages to replace the alternator, starter, and complex power steering systems that are common on vehicles today.

My family has always been concerned about fuel economy; we have never owned (and will probably never own) an SUV, and our vehicles - while not the best - always delivered decent fuel economy. With the Colorado and Federal tax credits, I was able to convince the rest of my family to buy the first new car that they had ever purchased.

Our package 7 2006 Prius was ordered in January and delivered early in March; we paid MSRP (in cash) but managed to get the paperwork fees and floor mat charge waived. I drove the vehicle off the lot with 8 miles on the odometer (and took a photograph).

There are now over 800 miles on the vehicle; we've filled up once (51.8MPG; though this may be spurious due to an uneven fill level as compared to when we took delivery). I enjoy driving the vehicle more than I ever imagined I would. My 1997 Ford Taurus was sold one week after we got the Prius; it was a nice vehicle that I enjoyed driving, but it was nothing like the Prius.

The Prius accelerates better than any vehicle that I've ever driven. As much as I like to improve my MPG, it's just too tempting when a ricer in a Civic pulls up on Harmony Ave. near Timberline (speed limit: 55) and decides to rev their engine. I sit, smile, and then outaccelerate them when the light turns. The Prius doesn't feel fast, but it hits 55 remarkibly quickly, without making much noise or fuss. That's probably why many don't seem to understand the power that this vehicle really has. When you push the accelerator, it goes - there's no fussing with the clutch and the transmission never decides to go into "crazy low gear" mode. Floor a typical automatic transmission vehicle, and it feels like you're riding a bucking bronco - the acceleration is jerky and uncontrolled. The Prius doesn't fuss, it doesn't "rev up", it simply moves - faster than most would believe is possible for a vehicle with a 74HP ICE.

The Prius comes with a lot of bragging rights. Perhaps it's because my friends are all geeks, but even the most skeptical observer will gaze with awe as you get in the vehicle without pushing a button, then proceed to start the vehicle and drive away without a key. Everything about this car screams "futuristic" - from the aerodynamic body design to the touchscreen to the numerous computerized gadgets. One of the most telling comments was when I answered my first phone call with the Bluetooth speakerphone, and my friend simply remarked, "Wait, this thing has Bluetooth too?". Look at any luxury car advertisement and see the list of key features - RF keys, GPS, back-up camera, electronic climate control, voice commands, touchscreen - it's all here, in a vehicle that (after tax credits) cost us only $23,000.

Everything about this vehicle exudes "cool". In an age of boxy SUVs, here's a vehicle that's extremely un-SUV. It's a vehicle that you can start with a push of a button, a vehicle with a digital speedometer in a quasi-heads-up-display, a vehicle where a color touchscreen comes standard, and a vehicle where the Miller-cycle 1NZ-FXE is only the start of the most innovative powertrain in the last 50 years. In a day and age where every vehicle works the same way, the Prius dares to be different.

What if the Prius got 30MPG? Would it still be worth it? Absolutely. The Prius is a car with luxury-level technology without the luxury price. It's a technological showpiece that demonstrates that you don't need a "wood grained" interior or "heated leather seats" to have a voice-activated Bluetooth speakerphone. It's a car that is exceptionally safe for its weight class, a car that handles well and never fights the driver (except perhaps when you push things - traction control and VSC keep you from being stupid).

The Prius is not "more powerful" (though it does accelerate well), it's not "bigger" (though it is quite roomy), and it's not "more capable". While every other manufactuer was figuring out how to increase the numbers that describe their vehicles, Toyota decided to build a vehicle that was smarter. Boeing and Airbus have been replacing mechanical systems with electronic systems for over 20 years. The result? Commercial aircraft have become significantly safer in the past 20 years. They fly further, use less fuel, are cheaper to make, and crash less often. The 787 won't even need bleed air from the engines, thanks to new electronic systems. The A380 has significantly less hydraulic piping and has far fewer valves because of localized electronically-controlled hydraulic systems. It is ironic that we think of a CPU with 110 million 65-nanometer components as "simple", but we only have to look at the price and reliability to know that it is the case. Toyota puts an 8-year (15 in some states) warranty on the HV system for a reason - it's unlikely that it will need repair. The Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, and it's because electronic components are inherently more predictable and more reliable than mechanical components. Quartz clocks are both cheaper and more precise than mechanical clocks. Fuel injection is better than carburation. Flash memory is faster and more reliable than mechanical storage devices, and it will eventually be cheaper as well.

And HSD is more efficent, more reliable, and more versatile than a conventional transmission. Eventually, it will be cheaper as well.

Sidenotes

Currently tires are at 35/33, as specified on the doorjam. We may raise the pressure to 40/38 or 42/40, depending on how brave we are feeling.

Motor oil is conventional 5W-30; we will take the vehicle for the free 1K oil change (with conventional oil) but will change the oil ourselves from then on (every 5K for warranty purposes) with Mobil 1.

Color is Classic Silver Metallic.

Pulse and glide has proven successful, but not as maitainable as using cruise control.

Not planning on doing any modifications currently due to the warranty (though if it were up to me, I'd definitely do the NAV override, rear-camera switch, and EV mod).

Not planning on getting the extended warranty.

Regular gas is 85 octane in Colorado; Prius sips it down without a fuss.

Last edited by PriusGuy04; 04-15-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius Bragging Rights

Get your tires up to 42/40. The ride might be a touch bumpier, but you'll see an improvement in MPG.

Keep trying pulse and glide. It'll take more than a tank and a half to get the hang of it. After a few months, you'll be able to do it by feel & sound, without looking at the display.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

I pump the tires up to 40..get better mileage. My dealer recommends minimum 87 octane. Stations here in the midwest sell a lot of gas mixed with 10% ethanol.
The price is a few cents less per gallon and sports a higher octane. I get less mpg with the ethanol blend which I think is typical. I guess its a choice of better mpg with straight gas or a vote for less dependence on oil with ethanol blend.
Also, I tried Mobil 1 which carries a $20 premium per oil change. I noticed no difference in mileage. I'm back to regular oil.
Mileage: 45 city about the same on the highway.
Take care

Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by les j. sachs
I pump the tires up to 40..get better mileage. My dealer recommends minimum 87 octane. Stations here in the midwest sell a lot of gas mixed with 10% ethanol.
The price is a few cents less per gallon and sports a higher octane. I get less mpg with the ethanol blend which I think is typical. I guess its a choice of better mpg with straight gas or a vote for less dependence on oil with ethanol blend.
Also, I tried Mobil 1 which carries a $20 premium per oil change. I noticed no difference in mileage. I'm back to regular oil.
Mileage: 45 city about the same on the highway.
Is your car in the database? It won't suddenly improve your MPG but it will give you an idea of how well you're doing.

What model? How many miles? How long have you had it?

I agree with you about the Mobil 1. I'm headed towards a synthetic for longer oil change intervals. I've finished up about 5k on my Mobil 1 but I'm planning to go a whole year on the next change (not Mobil 1) with an oil sample test after 6 months.

Are you using the MFD for MPG or odometer/gas receipts? Just curious.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 04-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I bought the car in September 2005.
It has the package 4.
6,000 miles on it.
I use the mpg estimate provided by the car's computer on the energy screen.
I don't do any sp;ecial driving other than to be a little more conservative in stops and starts. Otherwise, I just drive as usual.
Les

Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

I really liked your "Prius Bragging Rights" piece and I feel relieved that young Americans think and feel differently about their cars.

I say differently because I have the impression (is it a wrong impression?) that the average American car owner thinks in terms of his material return for the dollar only. Remarks like "for the same money I can get a real car" or "shall I ever get a return for my investment in a Prius", are not rare in hybrid cars forums.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Sorry in advance for nitpicking but I just can't let this one go.
Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
The Prius accelerates better than any vehicle that I've ever driven.
Better or smoother? I'd believe smoother so long as the writer has never been in any other CVT based vehicle.
Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
As much as I like to improve my MPG, it's just too tempting when a ricer in a Civic pulls up on Harmony Ave. near Timberline (speed limit: 55) and decides to rev their engine. I sit, smile, and then outaccelerate them when the light turns.
Holy cow it looks like the writer actually did mean better/faster! It is a sad day when a Prius is considered a musclecar. Don't get me wrong the Prius is one cool car and is most of the other things that were mentioned in the OP but the Prius surely is not fast by any stretch of the imagination. I'd be happy to race for pink slips (titles) from 0 to 55 any day with a stock Prius. Most of the cars and trucks I've owned are faster to 55 than a Prius. Perhaps the Civic hybrid is not one of them but look at my other current car......

Who wants to race their Prius?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

I drove a Prius last year and the acceleration is not bad at all.

A generation ago, it's acceleration would be considered very respectable.

I would not mind having a larger battery pack. I'd keep it charged they way it's normally driven, but have a reserve to but a little disappointment in ricer Civics and their kind.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Engineering first

I hadn't heard from him in awhile. Regardless, we have two, 1500 cc Toyotas in our driveway and the Echo easily out performs our Prius. Heck, the Echo will even 'squeek' the tires (not that the OEM tires are much to shout about!)

Our hybrids aren't lame but they are not race horses by any stretch of the imagination.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't mind them not being race-horses. Race horses should stay on race-courses .. what are they doing on the normal civilian roads?!

Quick Reply: Prius Bragging Rights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands