problem putting gas in Prius

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default problem putting gas in Prius

I've had my new 2005 Prius for about 2 months and the only problem I'm having is when I put gas in it I can't put the pump on auto, I have to regulate the gas flow at the very smallest rate or the pump stops. Then when it is just about full gas spurt's out all over the side of the car. This makes it a real hassle to fill up this car. Is there a gas tank ventilation problem with this car? Is anyone else having this problem?

thanks - Dale

Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Site Founder

Dale,
With the very first batch of 2004 Prius, there was an issue with the tank that caused capacity to shrink and the gauge to be inaccurate. However, that issue was fixed long ago and I haven't heard of this problem happening -- especially with the latest vehicles. You need to have yours checked out. Keep in mind that spilling a cup or so of gas really undoes the benefits of owning a green car.

As a side note, welcome and congratulations! You're our 1,000th member. I've posted an announcement in the appropriate section and emailed you a few minutes ago.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

ummm i dont have this problem, it stops at around 9 and i just leave it that way

Old 03-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Gas Tank

Originally Posted by Jason
Dale,
With the very first batch of 2004 Prius, there was an issue with the tank that caused capacity to shrink and the gauge to be inaccurate. However, that issue was fixed long ago and I haven't heard of this problem happening -- especially with the latest vehicles. You need to have yours checked out. Keep in mind that spilling a cup or so of gas really undoes the benefits of owning a green car.

As a side note, welcome and congratulations! You're our 1,000th member. I've posted an announcement in the appropriate section and emailed you a few minutes ago.
What can Toyota do to fix the problem?

Old 03-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Something is definitly wrong

I don't think some of you understand my problem. I've owned aprox 30 cars in my life and I've never had one that was so difficult to put gas in. I'm talking about having to hold (can't set on auto or pump cuts off) the gas pump lever at it's very slowest flow rate and even then it cuts off and I have to pull the lever again to the smallest possible flow rate again- this happens maybe 10 times during filling it up. Then when it gets close to full (which I can't tell when that is since the pump nozzel cuts off 10 times or more) it will start spuing gas, maybe a quart until it stops. An entire fill-up takes
maybe 10 minutes of my nursing the pump nozzle to fill this car up and I've filled it at several different gas stations.

Now I love this car, they thought of everything and there is no way that it should be this difficult and so much of a chore to fill up. I called my dealer, they know of no such problem. I guess I'll have to have one of their mechanics take a ride with me to the gas station and let him fill it up. I think it is a ventilation problem.

- Dale

Old 03-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Hi Dale,

My advice would be the next time the fuel level is low, call the service department at the dealer and see if they could have someone go with you to refuel your car.
Let them see first-hand. It sounds like a pain, and should be attended to by Toyota.

Regards,

Old 03-19-2005, 08:26 AM

that is not normal

Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Site Founder

Dale,

I understand your problem. It's happened to me before I had the fuel tank/gauge fix. One time I had your EXACT problem. Other times it just wouldn't let me put in more than 1/2 capacity or so. Your issue likely lies with the filler tube or bladder. The Prius' tube is made specifically small in diameter to prevent excess gasses from escaping (as I understand it). This sometimes prevents air from coming out as the gasoline goes in. And, once you pull out, all that pressure shoots back at you like you're at a fireworks show.

Show it to your dealer. It isn't normal and can be fixed.

PS Did you get my email?

Last edited by Jason; 03-19-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: problem putting gas in Prius

Jason,
I do have the same problem on my 2004 Lexus LS430 Sports Suspension. I have not specifically mentioned this to my selling dealer.
I just need to lift the gas pump handle up so it does not create a back pressure.
joe

Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: problem putting gas in Prius

i had a similar problem in my old car. it would shut off completely after putting in less than 1 gal into a 13 gal tank.

i started inserting the pump nozzle into the filler tube varying lengths. sometimes i had to only put it half way in or it would stop, sometimes i could go 3/4 way, etc.

it has to do with the air pressure being relieved in the filler tube and the tank, which many people here have already mentioned.

i have a new 05 Prius (28 days old today) and have had no problems during my 2 fillups. it may be an anomaly with your car. either way, good luck!

Quick Reply: problem putting gas in Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands