What should I look for in a used Prius?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default What should I look for in a used Prius?

Heyare looking into buying a used Prius for our son's first car and I was wondering what to look for when checking out whats available in my area. Not sure if we want to get him an 01/02 or something a little newer like 04 through 06. What do you all suggest? Pro's/Con's of the different model years? What should I be looking for when it comes to the hybrid battery and controls?
We have a FEH and looked into getting him one but I think the Prius better suits his needs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What should I look for in a used Prius?

Not sure if you have bought a Prius for your son or how old he is. But I can tell you my father bought my son a 2004 Prius with about 150K. It was an awesome car (my son sold it recently). I own a 2007 Prius and love it. I would try to find one with service records if possible. But I would not be scared away from one with higher mileage.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What should I look for in a used Prius?

CarFax. Try to make sure you buy it from a certified Used Toyota dealer. I saw one on the lot at 85k. I was told they had one at over 100k but banged up.

I recently purchased a 2010 gen 3 and love it used, low miles at 17k and change.