Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributor ($)

I went out to my car the other day and there was a small hairline crack in my windshield. Since then it continues to grow. I called my insurance company and got ahold of a glass company. Originally they were going to put in the new windshield on Tuesday, but then they called back and said that I will have to wait until the parts get in. They are not sure how long it will take.

Has anyone else had to get their Insight windshield replaced? How long did it take to come in?

I am a little uneasy driving with a cracked windshield.

Since the Insight is such a low production car I'm wondering how much it will cost overall.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Eric,
You might want to contact Wayne (xcel) as I believe he also had to fix or replace his windscreen.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributor ($)

That's right...I forgot about that.

When I saw him in April he had a broken windshield. He must have replaced it by now, right?

Old 07-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had my windshield replaced when I had an Insight. It was very neat to watch...You might want to look closely when he's done though at the A-pillar exterior plastic peice. They didn't snap mine back in right so I had to do it myself.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributor ($)

Thanks for the info. I'll watch closely.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Contributor ($)

Update for the curious...
I'm still waiting for the correct parts for my windshield to come in. It's been just over a month now. Had to rescedule two times so far because the needed parts did not arrive on time.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Ericbecky:

___Supposedly, mine goes under the knife tomorrow morning. I received a quote from Safety Glass (1-800-800-ASAP) for $350.00. I asked abut the special clips and to make sure they have them. I received a voice mail saying they cost another $180.00! I have been trying to get a hold of the installer but we shall see by tomorrow. Why can’t they reuse the clips that are already installed? The world may never know.

___Rick Reese had his windscreen replaced and there was a problem because of these “clips” so that is why I was so adamant about getting this done right.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Contributor ($)

I just noticed that I didn't let everyone know the outcome on my windshield. They finally got my windshield in ~ the first week in September. (About a month of waiting.)

A very nice guy did the job. He let me watch him take it out and he showed why the clips were so important.

I paid my deductible, but I did not find out how much the actual windshiled cost. I know the glass guys had to order it through the dealer and the dealer told me there were only three of them in stock for the entire US.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast

:o

Three for the ENTIRE US?! :blink: When I had my Tercel in Phoenix I cracked the windshield THREE TIMES. It was such a common occurrance there that I think the state required insurance companies to provide glass coverage; when I moved away they told me I didn't have that coverage any more and there was no option to get it back.

First tire scarcity, now this. I'll definately enforce my car's personal space on the freeway!