1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 AM
'lectronimo
Unhappy 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Oh my, not pleasant.

Conditions: Temps about 10 Deg F, Light snow, road surface packed snow and glazed, winds 10-20 mph. (Tire pressure was adjusted to 32 PSI)

At low speeds the car easily broke traction during slow turns in parking lots and side streets. On the highway driving about 40-45 the car would just start to drift and slide--I had to take foot off gas peddle to slow and regain control.

I belive there are two major reasons for this poor performance:

1. The tires

I have Dunlap SP20FEs on my car. Reading the reviews on the Tire Rack website, I see these tires are not rated well by other drivers for their winter handling characteristics.

2. The power steering

Even under dry road conditions, I find the 05 HCH's steering to be over powered with distinct over-steer characteristics at highway speeds. The net result yields a very "twitchy" feel at highway speeds. I think it's this "twitchyness" that caused the car to drift and break traction at highway speeds. The overpowered steering really attenuates feedback to the steering wheel.

Questions:

What tires are you snowbelt/Canadian drivers using? I'm thinking about Bridgestone Blizzak's for the winter months. But here in Colorado that may be overkill, the front range doesn't get much snow.

How does the winter handing of the Prius compare to the HCH? (I'm starting to think serious about dumping my HCH, another issue for another thread :-)

Perhaps I'm being too critical WRT to the HCH. But compared to other cars I've driven over the past 40 years, in all kinds of conditions, mostly in the midwest (IL, IA, MN), this first winter driving experience causes me to consider the HCH unsatisfactory. Again to the snowbelt/Canadian drivers: What is your experience? What tips or tricks have you found to make winter driving in an HCH a better experience?

Rod, 'lectronimo's driver

Last edited by 'lectronimo; 12-07-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Rod,

I have a 2004 Prius (sorry about your dismay with the HCH). With the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires the P2 handled snow well the first season, but now with 45,000 miles I replaced them with Michelin MXV4+ (energy saving, LRR) tires (other P2 owners have switched to Michelin Harmony or HydroEdge tires --- better treadwear). The Michelins provide very good wet and good snow traction (Blizzaks or Nokians are better for snow). The P2 also has Traction Control as a standard (to prevent system damage from spinning tires --- but it does help in winter driving)

Note that I run my tires at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. This gives better MPG, a somewhat harder ride, and better tire wear.

One other matter, The OEMs had soft sidewalls which caused some poor handling characteristics. The major one was excessive sensitivity to sidewind. The handling problems are reduced at the higher psi I run (Toyota says 35/33 --- don't. Just stay below the Max rated pressure --- 44 for these tires).

Good luck

JeffD

Last edited by jdenenberg; 12-07-2005 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added Traction Control info
Old 12-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

I was just coming to post about this... you are right... VERY bad on snow.

Not sure how it compares to a regular Civic but I'd never heard anything bad about them in the snow.

I moved the pressure down to 30psi, still bad.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
'lectronimo
Exclamation Re: 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Folks,

Here is a link to a tire comparison table on Tire Rack's web:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=AS

Notice where the Dunlop SP20FE is, next to last! UFFDA!

Think I'll do some tire shopping today. :-)

Rod, 'lectronimos driver

Old 12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Any snow-driving feedback on the '06 HCHII?

Don

Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This makes me want to consider ever taking my 04 HCH up to Lake Tahoe, CA for skiing. I have stock 185/70SR14 Bridgestone B381 tires on my 04 HCH.

Tire Rack says "The Bridgestone B381 steel belted radial is a premium Passenger All-Season tire designed for family sedans. It was developed to enhance fuel economy while it provides quiet comfort and year-round traction, even in light snow. On the outside, the B381 features a symmetric, independent, siped block tread design that uses an all-season tread compound to provide traction on dry, wet and light snow-covered roads. Internally, the B381 features twin steel belts to stabilize the tread area and a polyester cord body to help cushion the ride."

So what is "light snow?" I have a feeling that it handles just as badly as the Dunlops on the type of snow that falls in ski-areas.

Somebody who owned an 03 HCH reviewed it saying,

"We have approx 53000 miles and the tires are worn out. They never had great grip or worked well in wet and snowy conditions. They are worn to the point where they slide during cornering and give you a very uneasy feeling."

Hmm. link here

Old 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
"We have approx 53000 miles and the tires are worn out.

Seems to me that 53k on a set of tires is a pretty good run. What are they complaining about?

Don

Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

i think that was just them stating a fact. the thing i'm referring to is their mention that the tires didn't perform well on wet or snowy terrain - that's why i'm worried about bringing my car up to Tahoe.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
my other car is a FJORD

i am running my 2005 HCH with Toyo snow tires, can't remember the name, but it's the same tires i ran on my forester and CRV. cheaper than the blizzaks, but they really stick, and we have had alot of blowing and drifting and i haven't felt them slip out at all. i drive a manual if that helps. however, the FE took a hit with them on there, but safety is my main concern right now, what with my 40 mile commute.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Traction control on the Prius (I + II) is very handy in the snow, and the new VSC option with the Prius II is really amazing in the snow, you can brake hard and steer even on the slipperiest stuff. It feels a bit weird with each wheel being braked independently to provide "steering" but it really works! I'm not sure if I would get the VSC option since it doesn't snow here all that much (although the front yard is still white) since regular ABS and the traction control are quite good... Would be nice if it was included standard.

Quick Reply: 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands