2006 Civic Hybrid Guages Changed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Civic Hybrid Guages Changed?

I'm car shopping and about to buy a 2006 Civic Hybrid. Has anyone noticed that the upper level guages are different on different cars? I have test driven two cars, both in my area, and the top guage is either:

[Engine Temp] [Speedometer] [Gas Guage]

...or less commonly...

[Instant MPG] [Speedometer] [Gas Guage]

The Honda web site clearly shows the first setup (with engine temp) being the correct guage layout (see link here). But one of the cars I test drove has instant MPG (which I find much more useful than engine temp). I ensured I was looking at a 2006 (I realize 2007 models are supposed to be here by the end of this month), and then I did some searching on the Internet and found a photo with the MPG guage (see link here).

Did they change the guage mid-year, different assembly location, or just randomly? Can the manufacture date or VIN be used to determine which cars have which guage? As I'm shopping and prefer the instant MPG reading, I'd like to be able to call a dealer and be able to determine if it has the configuration I want over the phone without having to look at the car in person.

I get the fact that there's a couple of trip computers that show the MPG you're getting, but knowing the instant MPG is often helpful, and something that the Prius shows very clearly (and even my old Acura MDX trip computer has the instant reading along with trip MPG).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Guages Changed?

Actually there is a button on the dash that allows you toggle the left display from instant MPG to engine temp. Hope that makes sense!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

You're more helpful than any of the sales reps I've come across. None of them were able to show me how to see instant MPG (or confirm it existed). Thanks!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I can't believe that none of the sales reps could tell you that...it's not like the button is hidden or anything. Very unusual.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I can. But then again, I deal with sales reps on a daily basis

Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Chris - were you downtown today, turning from 4th onto I-70? I'll see you some day!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

lol... nope. Might have been rav though, his hch is also mag pearl if i remember. don't know if he's logged on here lately, though, you might try sending him a pm.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
lol... nope. Might have been rav though, his hch is also mag pearl if i remember. don't know if he's logged on here lately, though, you might try sending him a pm.

Nope not me either. I don't usually go that far down ino the city. I'm usually cruisin up near westerville, lewis center area. I haven't seen any other mag pearls but have seen 2 silvers, and I saw the light (I believe opal) blue today on polaris parkway with a woman driving it.

Jayson

Old 09-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Energy Independence

My salesman knew NOTHING about the TEMP/Instant MPG button either (I showed HIM). They don't dwell on the differences between the Hybrid and the regular Civic enough to remember the little stuff. Sometimes they are mistaken in the BIG stuff, even!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is not supposed to be the "HCH spotted" thread but I was followed and later passed by a Mag Pearl Hybrid in Wexford, PA yesterday as I turned into the Baierl Honda lot - I don't know if it had Nav or is my car that I ordered months ago that someone finally purchased. Then, today, I passed a silver Hybrid from VA heading up I-79 past Cranberry Township, PA then saw one parking near the Clarion University (either silver or similar in color). Yes I did some driving today (280 miles).

Anyway, the button on the dash changes the gauge as others have shown but while I was at the dealership where I bought my car and describing things like, "And at speed or going down a hill and the car is not accelerating then the valves shut and the car coasts on battery power and doesn't really run the engine ... blah, blah, blah ..." and they actually admitted, "Man, you know more about this car then any of us Salesmen do!" I said, "That's what happens when you have 5 months to research the car while waiting for a Dealer to order/find it." I was tickled that they would say this. It was AFTER we signed the papers so it wasn't like they were buttering me up in order to make the sale. Fun folks though. I gave them some more tips about the hidden features for their future sales too. That made me feel wanted. =)

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Guages Changed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands