Advice: Changing CVT fluid at home

Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Advice: Changing CVT fluid at home

Hi all. Time for the wife's HCH 30K CVT fluid change. I was gonna do it myself because the local honda dealership wouldn't do it unless I bought a "package" of services for $174 (the 30K service was almost $400. Screw that.) So, anyway, I got the honda CVT fluid and a crush washer and then totally lost my nerve. Out of interest, I asked AAMCO what they'd charge for labor, but they won't touch it.

Can anyone help me out by commenting on my plan to do this by driving the front wheels up on ramps, and removing the lower engine shield. Er, sorry to sound so stupid, but my main questions are: where can I locate the drain and filler plugs? Will I need any special tools? Does the change depend on the car being level or will ramps be ok to use?

Perhaps the very fact I'm posting this means that I ought not to bother attempting it. Your advice would be welcome, however. It's amazing how the lack of a Haynes manual for the car stalls me right out.

Cheers.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Advice: Changing CVT fluid at home

Originally Posted by cutiepiepudding
Hi all. Time for the wife's HCH 30K CVT fluid change. I was gonna do it myself because the local honda dealership wouldn't do it unless I bought a "package" of services for $174 (the 30K service was almost $400. Screw that.) So, anyway, I got the honda CVT fluid and a crush washer and then totally lost my nerve. Out of interest, I asked AAMCO what they'd charge for labor, but they won't touch it.

Can anyone help me out by commenting on my plan to do this by driving the front wheels up on ramps, and removing the lower engine shield. Er, sorry to sound so stupid, but my main questions are: where can I locate the drain and filler plugs? Will I need any special tools? Does the change depend on the car being level or will ramps be ok to use?

Perhaps the very fact I'm posting this means that I ought not to bother attempting it. Your advice would be welcome, however. It's amazing how the lack of a Haynes manual for the car stalls me right out.

Cheers.
I would let the dealer do it. Nothing short of a major mess when you pull the plug and the fluid goes everywhere....plus there's probably a filter in there somewhere that's going to be very messy not to mention a gasket or two. I changed the auto trans fluid in my grand wagoneer once and it was nothing short of a major catastrophy/oil spill, gaskets, fluid, bolts, pans, every where. Torque wrench and service manual are probably needed not to mention that "special" tool that only honda dealers have that you'll need to buy on a Sunday when all the stores are closed....

Old 03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Somewhere on this forum is a very nice (pictures and all!) description of how to change the CVT Fluid. I'd do a search for that if I were you - It's there somewhere I just forget where right now...

Eric

Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Changing the CVT fluid is easier than changing the oil. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...n+fluid+change

Just follow the above direction and you'll be fine. I can't believe how easy it is.

Howard

Old 03-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you all most kindly. As it happened, I came across a honda dealership nearer my work than my missus' office that didn't need to sell me some evil "package." They did the job for $30 labor with the fluid I had already bought.

That said, it'll me me doing it the next time, thanks to your very generous advice, and that of the original poster of the DIY guide. $30 buys a good few diapers (hm. it used to buy a good few beers, as well... back in the day!). Better in my pocket than theirs.

Thanks again. Glad to be a part of your community; perhaps at some future point I'll be able to help someone else!

Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Take into consideration how easy you can fit under the car. I am the OP of the HOW TO: CVT fluid change thread and whenever I originally changed the fluid I had a lift. Makes it very simple for doing any fluid change.

If don't have a problem getting under the car you'll still do fine, don't let me scare you off from doing it yourself. Practice taking out those little pins (things that hold the bottom apron on) and keep them lubricated. I have to buy new ones everytime I change the oil or tranny fluid because I forget to lubricate them and then have trouble getting them out - I break them.

There's no filter or pan so it is the easiest thing you'll ever do on your car apart from rotating the tires.

Originally Posted by cutiepiepudding
Thank you all most kindly. As it happened, I came across a honda dealership nearer my work than my missus' office that didn't need to sell me some evil "package." They did the job for $30 labor with the fluid I had already bought.

That said, it'll me me doing it the next time, thanks to your very generous advice, and that of the original poster of the DIY guide. $30 buys a good few diapers (hm. it used to buy a good few beers, as well... back in the day!). Better in my pocket than theirs.

Thanks again. Glad to be a part of your community; perhaps at some future point I'll be able to help someone else!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

Just some points of information, the Honda Owner's Manual for the 2007 Civic Hybrid recommends draining, filling and running the car twice, running the engine to warm up until the cooling fan comes on. This procedure will use up 9 qts of oil. The 2006 Factory shop Manual only says to drain and fill, installing a new drain plug washer. The Shop manual says to fill through the dip stick tube, so maybe the ATF marked hole is for a quick, in-production fill, and why it is so tight. There is also, according to the 2006 Factory Manual, a filter on the transmission cooler line that can be changed as well. It is pictured, and looks similar to an in-line gas filter. In addition, the car should be level when checking fluid level in the transmission. I personally haven't done this to my car as yet, as it only has about 3000 miles on the odometer, so I am spending a lot of time finding the maintenance items I can do myself to cut some of the operating costs. I bought this car to replace my 1992 Honda Civic VX, that had only 217,000 miles on it, and was totaled when a car pulled out in front of me from a stop sign. Was still getting 45 mpg with A/C on, and still had the original clutch, starter, alternator, hoses, etc. This new Civic is a bit more refined.