Antenna Question........

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Antenna Question........

A coworker of mine bought an 06 Civic LX and I have noticed that the LX doesn't have a visible antenna on the back of the roof as the Hybrid has. I assume the LX antenna is integrated into the window? Why is this different in the Hybrid? Does the rubber roof-mounted antenna on the Hybrid also contain the antenna for the optional XM reciever? My 05 Element had standard XM radio and had a similar rubber antenna which served as the FM and XM antenna (I think).

I currently use the XM Roady XT and I am wondering if the existing antenna could serve as the antenna for the XM Roady?

Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: Antenna Question........

I do know that in new Civics as well as the previous generation (mine), the antenna was integrated into the rear window. I understood that the '03-'05 hybrid had the front roof-mounted antenna to avoid potential EM interference from the charging/discharging of the high voltage battery located behind the back seat. However, the HCH II has a rear roof-mounted antenna, so I'm not sure if this explanation still holds.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
I do know that in new Civics as well as the previous generation (mine), the antenna was integrated into the rear window. I understood that the '03-'05 hybrid had the front roof-mounted antenna to avoid potential EM interference from the charging/discharging of the high voltage battery located behind the back seat. However, the HCH II has a rear roof-mounted antenna, so I'm not sure if this explanation still holds.
The explanation still holds.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM

The battery pack is directly under the rear window and could potentially cause interference. Given the reception quality of the AM radio, I am not sure that the rubber one on the roof is much better.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

FYI, the rubber job unscrews very easy and can come loose if you're putting a cover on off for example. Doesn't hurt to check and hand tighten it every once and a while.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Enthusiastically Active

If you purchase the XM dealer installation, does this include a seperate antenna, or is it already in the standard antenna?

Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
If you purchase the XM dealer installation, does this include a seperate antenna, or is it already in the standard antenna?
The Honda approved (their part numbered kit) XM receiver includes a seperate XM antenna which is about half the size of a standard PC mouse. They installed my antenna on the lip of the trunk lid and it looks like if came from the factory that way, very clean install. At the time, I didn't know that the actual install instructions call for the antenna to be mounted on the windshield (on the inside, I think), but I don't think thats a good location anyway. I've had no more reception problems than I had with my Roady2s roof-mounted antenna (occasionally lose signal in valleys and around high-tension wires).

Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarkHorse2160
The Honda approved (their part numbered kit) XM receiver includes a seperate XM antenna which is about half the size of a standard PC mouse. They installed my antenna on the lip of the trunk lid and it looks like if came from the factory that way, very clean install. At the time, I didn't know that the actual install instructions call for the antenna to be mounted on the windshield (on the inside, I think), but I don't think thats a good location anyway. I've had no more reception problems than I had with my Roady2s roof-mounted antenna (occasionally lose signal in valleys and around high-tension wires).
I had XM on my last car and wanted to transfer it over to my HCH but I'm deciding between getting something like the roady where I have to install a separate antenna or get a portable XM receiver with the antenna built in. I'd like to see pictures of your install if you have some available.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I have the roady XT and have the antenna mounted just behind the standard antenna on the roof.... hardly noticable. Somebody here posted photo instructions on how to run the antenna cable along the rear window seam awhile back, down to the trunk, thru the rear opening, and along the seats, under the carpet and up to the receiver. I followed this and it works beautifully. I used bits of bicycle intertube rubber to wedge the antenna into the rear window seam.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by HCH-Jun
I'd like to see pictures of your install if you have some available.
I don't have photos right now, but I'll take some this evening and post them here tonight or tomorrow. I'll show my roady and also where I installed the antenna. I believe the installation looks quite "factory"... but I'll let you be the final judge of that!!!

The only thing I need to do to make it 100% satisfactory is to change out my patch cord. The cord from the roady to the AUX port is from my son's IPod Nano. It works, and it's a good length, but it's white. I need black! Off to Radio Shack this weekend!

Quick Reply: Antenna Question........

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands