Any way to stop the seat belt buzzer on '05 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Any way to stop the seat belt buzzer on '05 ?

I know.....please don't tell my wife or kids but......I saw a fix to override this for an earlier model. Anyone know the fix for the '05 ? If not can the buzzer be disabled w/o affecting other stuff that use the buzzer as an alert ?? If so, how ?

Pete

Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any way to stop the seat belt buzzer on '05 ?

Don't know why anyone would want to override that. No practical reason exists for not wearing your seatbelt.

I (in my younger years) did not wear seatbelts until it became mandatory on US Military installations in the early 1980s. I am lucky to have survived those years. Very few vehicle accident fatality victims are removed from under their seatbelts - and they mostly consist of head-on collision victims or people who run into trees at very high speeds.

I don't want to start a big hullabaloo about this or to question your judgment as an adult, but in my opinion, if you love your wife and kids, you need to wear that seatbelt religiously.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast

And I do wear it, I just prefer to put it on as I am exiting the neighborhood or driveway and would like to get in my car, start it up, wihout the "reminder" buzz. I know.................

Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Oh, I see - you only wear it when you are really in traffic.

My best advice is this: Get into the habit of putting the seatbelt on as soon as you sit down in the car, and this will not be an issue for you.

I have acquired that habit, as have millions of other people - so can you.

If you are not in the habit of doing it, then YES I suppose I can see how it would become a pain always listening to the buzzer remind you.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, but I would still like to know if there is a fix......

Old 10-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Well, my personal fix would be to buy a civic seatbelt connector at a salvage yard and click that into the seat connector when the seabelt is not on your body.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:06 PM

I can understand your frustration... I am tired of cars trying to do everything for me, trying to save me from this and that, all the while creating significant hassles that I have to deal with all the time.

It's nearly impossible to lock the car with your hands full (gotta either handle the key, remote or door handle AFTER getting your stuff out of the car), passenger can't lock the car at all, warning beepers and bells going off constantly, starting the car when you shift to park, turning off the autostop when you're defrosting, blah blah blah - doing all the thinking for us so those of us who think differently than them are SOL.

Hey, I'm an engineer, but even I can realize that just because you CAN engineer something, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. At some point they have to accept the fact that we are qualified to operate the car, and let us do that without a bunch of roadblocks intended to do the job for us.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:25 PM

I understand your point on the broader scale, ZimBop, but when it comes to safety, car makers cannot afford to shirk or skimp.

Those seatbelt buzzers have been standard equipment for a long time on a lot of vehicles, and are an important part of the safety picture, whether we like them or not. I'm not sure, but I bet at some point they were mandated by someone.

The way the car makers see it is probably "better safe than sorry" and I agree with them when it comes to safety features.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:44 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

This may not apply to you since it sounds like you buckle up once you are on the road, but there's something else to think about. I don't know if the airbag circuit is tied to the buzzer or not. But if it is, Honda's two-stage airbags will detect whether of not the driver or passenger is buckled in. If they are buckled, the airbag will deploy at the highest rate in a severe accident. If they are unbuckled, it deploys at a slower rate as the person is likely to be moving forward towards the bag during deployment.

If the system detects the belt as being buckled, but the person is not, there is a higher likelihood of injury as the airbag will deploy at the full rate while the person is flying forward.

Maybe somebody can chime in whether or not the buzzer and airbag seatbelt sensor are on the same circuit, but for simplicity sake, I would venture to guess that they are.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:23 PM

1. Seatbelts were mandated in 1967, as far as I recall. I have a '59 Ford with 'optional' seatbelts and had a '65 Ford with aftermarket seatbelts.

2. There are many reasons why one wouldn't want to wear a seatbelt! They may not be apparent to you, but that's because these situations may not fit you. One example is driving on a farm. If I'm at my father-in-law's house, and I want to go over two miles down a private dirt road through a pumpkin field, to my grandmother-in-law's house, I wouldn't put on my seat belt. So in this case, I'd disable the seatbelt buzzer. Another example is if I drive the 1 1/2 mile round trip to my mailbox in a suburban neighborhood, going about 20 mph MAX. There's a pretty good chance I'm not wearing my seatbelt then, either.

3. I don't know of any way this can be done with the Honda, but my Ford has a rather complicated method of turning the buzzer off. I don't recall exactly how to do it (it's in the owner's manual, for you Escape drivers) but it requires turning the car on, buckling up and unbuckling three times, turn the ignition on and off, buckling and unbuckling three more times, then tap on the brakes a set number of times. I suppose they make it difficult to discourage people from turning it off.

Quick Reply: Any way to stop the seat belt buzzer on '05 ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands