Anyone change their CVT fluid themselves?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone change their CVT fluid themselves?

Anyone here do it? Is it a pain in the backside? I'm being cheap and thinking I can do it on my own. 24.5k and three years old, I think it's time.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
now Insight, had an HCH
Default Re: Anyone change their CVT fluid themselves?

I changed mine. I did have a lift at my disposal. What I would HIGHLY recommend is "finding" the fill hole/bolt/plug before you drain and then actually trying to remove the file plug first. Mine was a huge pain to break and was only broken after I made up a large breaker bar and put my weight into it (I'm a good sized guy).

Draining wasn't a problem at all though. The search for the fill hole and removing it took the longest.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yeah, that helps a lot. Many thanks! Did you just buy the fluid at Honda?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:17 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

Yes, absolutely.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:54 PM
jmg14213

I let the dealer do it the first time, back in Jan. at 25K. I wasn't physically up for it at the time. Since then I have found the fill plug (under the back of the air filter at the "left" rear corner of the CVT) and will be doing the next one myself sometime this fall (at 42K now). If you have any real trouble getting the plug out, just pull off the air cleaner assembly. It is only held by two bolts and all the rubber seals/hoses.

Has anyone found a place to buy the Engine Air Filter (not Cabin) other than at Honda? I will be due for it about the same time and don't want to have to pay another arm and leg for it. After I had the dealer do the trans and engine in January, I found FRAM's label printed on the Blue Honda Brand oil filter, so I hope they also make some of the air filters for Honda as well. Still, they don't list it in their book.