Anyone else notice more aggressive assist when fuel low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
jmg14213
Default Anyone else notice more aggressive assist when fuel low?

This afternoon I was driving around town on my job with the low fuel light on since yeasterday afternoon. There was just one bar on the guage, and had been that way for at least 25 miles. Normally my assist doesn't kick in four bars until the fuel economy guage drops below 40, but this afternoon it was staying at four bars even at 40 + 2 or even +3 bars fuel economy (44 to 52 range).

Has anyone else noticed whether this apparently more aggressive assist function is normal when fuel is low? This is absolutely the first time I have been able to keep that kind of assist at low speed and "high" mpg.

I haven't had the update done yet. I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen this after the update as well, not just on "original" cars.

Thanks.
Matt

Old 12-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Default Re: Anyone else notice more aggressive assist when fuel low?

I haven't noticed it but I'll look out for it.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

i haven't noticed it either

Old 12-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Vegetarian

me either

Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't noticed this since I rarely let my tank go below an eight of a tank. (I know, I'm paranoid, even in a Hybrid!!)

However, I have noticed that my assist seems to be more aggressive on cruise control than when I'm driving normally.

Or maybe I'm imagining it.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I notice the IMA assists more when the SoC is higher.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have not noticed this.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmh3
I notice the IMA assists more when the SoC is higher.
I think this is the reason you saw your assist jump up, JMG. You probably had a full or nearly fully charged battery and the IMA took advantage of it. The software update has to do with controlling how much the revs can drop to protect the catalytic converter, not the ima assist

Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmg14213
This afternoon I was driving around town on my job with the low fuel light on since yeasterday afternoon. There was just one bar on the guage, and had been that way for at least 25 miles. Normally my assist doesn't kick in four bars until the fuel economy guage drops below 40, but this afternoon it was staying at four bars even at 40 + 2 or even +3 bars fuel economy (44 to 52 range).

Has anyone else noticed whether this apparently more aggressive assist function is normal when fuel is low? This is absolutely the first time I have been able to keep that kind of assist at low speed and "high" mpg.

I haven't had the update done yet. I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen this after the update as well, not just on "original" cars.

Thanks.
Matt
I notice this when the temperature is warmer out. I believe what you are noticing is that the MPGs at a given throttle position are higher than they normally would be due to a tailwind, or better weather, or something like that. On very cold days, assist for me usually kicks in in the high 30mpgs, but on hot days, it kicks in a couple notches above 40. Also, the battery may be in a more optimal temperature range, I know the computer take that into account when determining how much assist to generate.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

My car seems just plain moody to me. Sometimes it gets "assist happy" and will show assist even when the instant mileage guage is around 55mpg with barely any throttle. Other times (especially when cold) the car does not like to use assist and will not assist even when the instant mpg gauge is down around 30mpg. I hate when it gets assist happy and prefer the way it acts when it is cold, only using assist when you really need it.

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice more aggressive assist when fuel low?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands