Best jacking point on front of HCH w/floor jack??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Best jacking point on front of HCH w/floor jack??

I'm going to change my oil and was wondering if any one has an opinion on the best point to center a standard floor jack to jack up the front on a HCH. I'm going to use the screw jack points for my jack stands so they are out. Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best jacking point on front of HCH w/floor jack??

Well you can use the frame of the car to do this, hard to locate without having the car up in the air though. But it is real close to the jack points, just further in.

What you could do is jack the car from the rear jack point to it's highest setting, this should be high enough to put one of your jack stand up front. Give that a shot. If you have a nice thick piece of plywood to put under your jack (rear) this will give you additional height up front. Once you get the front jacked up... mark the frame, therefore, in the future you can just jack the car from that point.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know if this is the best answer, but....

I just went and looked at the front of my HCH. I saw two "tow" points on each side of the front. I also noticed in the middle was a large arrow on the plastic underbody. I tapped what it was pointing to and it was solid metal. That might be the place to jack up the car but you might want to check it out some more. There might be something in the owners manual about this location.

Billy

Old 09-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have changed the oil in my HCH since day one. I now have 69,000 miles on her. The best way I have found to get the front up is to just purchase a couple of those plastic ramps you can find at any Wal-Mart of auto parts store. I think I got mine for about $15. Just drive it up and start wrestling around with those dang funky clips that hold on the plastic shield. You'll have to buy some extras from the dealer, cuz' you will for sure bust some. Once you get the plastic shield off, your home free.

If you have to jack it up in the front, that arrow Billy was talking about works just fine.

Howard

Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just use 2"X6" boards to drive up on to change my oil. Works for me. Cheap and easy, just like me : )

Old 09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

I had to jack it up from the side to see the "arrow", but there it was! It points to a piece of the frame so that's what I used. An easy job once you get the car in the air. Thanks for the help.

Mike