Car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 AM
YA RLY.
Default Car wash

This is going to sound like an extremely dumb question, but since I do dumb questions so well, I might as well go for it.

I took my HCH2 to the car wash today. As it gets pulled through, the engine is always idling and my average MPG just plummets. Is it a big deal to shut the car off while in the wash and restart it when I exit?

See? Dumb, right?

This car could really use a forced EV mode like the well known Prius mod.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car wash

You might want to take your car to one of those car washes at the gas station where your can turn the car off and just sit there. That would be an option.

Jeff

Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 AM

I always just leave it running. It hurts a bit, but If I only wash it once per tank its not that much.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by guvmint_cheese
You might want to take your car to one of those car washes at the gas station where your can turn the car off and just sit there. That would be an option.

Jeff
I don't want to get all wet (which invariably happens) when it's 24F outside

EDIT: Upon reading your post again you mean the fully automated ones, correct? I've used them before. They never do a good job in my experience.

Last edited by Sledge; 01-15-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by Sledge
I don't want to get all wet (which invariably happens) when it's 24F outside

EDIT: Upon reading your post again you mean the fully automated ones, correct? I've used them before. They never do a good job in my experience.
I prefer the DIY high pressure spray car washes (touchless) over the others. All those pads/scrubbers and rotating brushes leave swirl marks in the finish because road dirt gets trapped in them from other cars and from your car. It's like doing a clay job without the clay.

Just spray it off manually with high press soap then gently rub with a soft cloth if necessary. Rinse with high press water then chamois off so you dont get water spots. If you have already done a nice wax job, you can spray on a flash wax when the surface is still wet then towel off for a protective finish.

I also prefer to use a hard surface protectant on the windows such as rain x so you can scrape off the ice with no problems and no engine idling.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
I prefer the DIY high pressure spray car washes (touchless) over the others. All those pads/scrubbers and rotating brushes leave swirl marks in the finish because road dirt gets trapped in them from other cars and from your car. It's like doing a clay job without the clay.

Just spray it off manually with high press soap then gently rub with a soft cloth if necessary. Rinse with high press water then chamois off so you dont get water spots. If you have already done a nice wax job, you can spray on a flash wax when the surface is still wet then towel off for a protective finish.

I also prefer to use a hard surface protectant on the windows such as rain x so you can scrape off the ice with no problems and no engine idling.

Look at my post here when used the high pressure wash
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...anty.5479.html

Old 01-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Seeing that you're from Saginaw, I would agree that you probably would need something a little better with all the salt and slush. I'm originally from Detroit, and I don't recall the gas station washes doing a phenomenal job in the winter.

Some full-scale car washes allow you to stay in the car when it goes through the wash. If you can find one that allows you to do so, get to the point where the conveyor catches the car and make sure you're in 'D' with the brake on. You might be able to activate Auto Stop at that point, and the engine would be off. I don't know how common those car washes are anymore since I haven't run my car through one of those in years.

BTW, thanks for reminding me - I need to hose the Cheesemobile down!

Jeff

Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Car wash

The car washes here that take the car through have Pegs that catch the wheel and Push the Vehicle through with vehicle (Not-Running) and in Neutral. So no gas waisted until it gets to the end and the attendant then starts it up and moves it to where it is Dryed-Off.

All Auto car-washes take there toll on your (Painted-Surfaces) unless they are the ones that have what here is referred to as (Touchless) "No-Brushes" to touch and leave as has been mentioned here, swirl-marks on your New Vehicle, especially the Painted Darker Finished Ones. You can get away with using them longer on Light Colored Finishes. It still does it, you just cannot see it as easy.

HTH

Terry

Old 01-15-2006, 12:11 PM
YA RLY.

Actually I have never seen a car wash where you got out of the car and let it go through by itself.

The only touchless car wash that I thought was any good around here is in Freeland. However I don't feel like driving that far out of my way to get my car clean.

I've never had paint problems with any of my cars, as I get them professionally waxed and detailed at least once a year.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I never use automatic car washes. After a few years you can tell the ones that have used them.
A few years ago I went through one and somebody's wip antenna was stuck in one of the side scrapers. Thank goodness it was just a beater car with crummy paint otherwise.

I've taken the Grand Cravan to a couple of those larger car washing outfits where they have a crew of hand driers afterward but stopped doing so for the marks.

Quick Reply: Car wash

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands