Check Engine Light

Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check Engine Light

Hi I just bought a 2003 Civic last week, so far I love it. Only problem is the check engine light came on a few days after I got it home. Took it to AutoZone and had them pull the codes and it came back with a catalytic converter inefficiency code. Anyone else had this problem, it is a Honda certified used car so atleast I have a warranty.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Very obvious comment.

Since it is under warranty I'm going to make the most obvious suggestion that you take it to a dealer and have them go through it. Knowing what the computer code says is important, however sometimes code descriptions are misleading. Sometimes a dealer gets a code, but it can mean about 5 different things. Sometimes not.

I'm glad you are under warranty.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Good suggestion I was planning on it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Just thought maybe with all the emissions equipment on these hybrids it could be something common.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So, you are driving a Civic Hybrid? Looking at the profile information that shows up in the upper right, I wasn't sure. I guess I'm being stupid this afternoon.

Anyway, I know that the Prius has a rather complex catalytic converter system. I believe they refer to it as 3 stage. Don't ask me what that means other than I probably has 3 different stages in it. But the only thing I have ever heard about Prius problems have been an occasional O2 sensor that got fouled and had to be replaced. And that is pretty rare.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

A quick google and I found this at BBA-reman.com
"A Three-Way converter is a triple purpose converter. It reduces nitrous oxides into nitrogen and oxygen. And, like the two-way converter, it oxidizes unburned harmful hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into water and carbon dioxide."

I'm going to get it to the dealer soon, and I just thought typing Civic Hybrid in the Hybrids owned was kind of redundant. I was think it might have been sitting on the dealers lot for awhile and a fresh tank of gas would make it go away. It hasn't.