Check Engine Light/Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Yup, Its an Egg.
Default Check Engine Light/Rough idle

Alright so I JUST bought a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I bought the car around 24 hours ago. Its a 2005 and it has 89,000 miles on it (I know, thats insane) so I got a really good deal on it. I just assumed right from the start I was going to need to do some work to it to get it up to par from the many miles it has on it already. I didnt expect that 10 minutes after I pulled off the lot the check engine light would come on. On my way home I stopped at AutoZone and they ran the code for me and it came back with some thing about my EGR Valve. I didnt get an extra warranty or any thing for the car because I got my payments right at what I wanted and I didnt want to mess with that. So with that being said and having the payments I wanted I have extra money to fix the problems my self. I know a little about cars and my dad knows a good amount so we are more than capable of doing the work our self. Any one have any tips before I dive into this, or has any one else had this problem on the 05? I looked around google and found out this is common on the 03's but I didnt find much of the 05.

Another issue Im having is rough idle/low RPM acceleration. (Could be caused by the EGR) When my engine comes back on from auto stop its kind of rough for a minute, is this normal? What can I do to fix this? I was thinking of just going to an actual Honda dealer ship and getting a tune-up and having them look at it. Thanks a lot for any help any one can offer, I appreciate it.

*note* I have already tried disconnecting the EGR wire from the valve and driving and it didnt seem to do any thing. My MPG is still around 50 though.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Yup, Its an Egg.
Default Re: Check Engine Light/Rough idle

Although no one replied if any one is interested I got the check engine light to go off. I took off the EGR Valve and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I replaced the gasket and then reset the check engine light. I have been driving around for a while now and the light hasnt come back on.

Also I read around on here that flushing the transmission can get rid of the rough take off so I guess thats next on the list.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was about to post and tell you to do what you did! I think I would also do my CVT asp. Any record to tell you if the oil has been changed? How is it running since cleaning the egr valve? You should have some good yrs. with this car, enjoy, H

Old 07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Yup, Its an Egg.

Its been running a lot smoother since I cleaned the EGR and the check engine light still hasnt come on. I need to get a carfax on the car to check for past maintenance since Im not sure. The dealership told me it was accident free and mostly highway miles so those where the most important things.

Just to be on the safe side Im going to do an oil change this weekend then I might take it to Honda for a tune-up/check out every thing on it.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You may want to have a look at the spark plugs and air cleaner. I am not sure if they use platinum plugs in the HCH1 or not? Pretty low milage to have any real problems. If you did the EGR valve yourself you should have no problem checking these items. H

Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Carfax is mostly bogus -- typically all it knows is if the VIN has shown up in any police reports. I never heard of it being able to access routine maintenance records. I wouldn't shell out for the report unless you know for sure that it will.

--doug

Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM

The transmission fix isn't just flushing the fluid. I heard it involves diferent fluids and the dealer does a specific routine to get rid of the problem. It shouldn't cost much.