Check Fuel Cap message

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Check Fuel Cap message

Has anyone gotten a random check fuel cap message on the information display? I got it today half-way through the day, randomly. The Honda Flip Guide advises to remove and reinstall the cap with at least one twist (which I did) and then to hold the Sel/Reset button until the message goes away. I held the button down, but to no avail, the message remained.

Oh, and the car did not throw a MIL. If it persists over the next day or two, I will take it to the dealer.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Re: Check Fuel Cap message

The manual says on page 229 that it may take several days for the warning light to go out.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ah. I had not read the thick manual yet. I was intending to do that this evening. We'll see how it goes.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This happened to me today.
I noticed it about half a mile after starting the car.

I did NOT just fill up; in fact, there are about 200 miles on this tank.
My cap was NOT loose; I always turn it so it clicks several times.
The metal body cover over the cap was not opened either.
It was a little hotter than usual this afternoon when I started the car (about 74 degrees.)
Why this happened is a mystery to me.

I stopped the car a half mile later as soon as I could safely pull over and took the key out of the ignition.
I took off and retightened the cap.
When I started the car the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message was still flashing.
I drove home with it flashing and read this thread, checked my manual, then went out and started my car again and the problem was gone.
I never needed to hold down the reset button.

Hmmmmm.
Strange.

Last edited by kenny; 06-10-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

It took a few days for it to go away. Even after re-adjusting the cap and holding the reset button.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

I'm going on one week with over 350 miles and it still hasn't gone away. I've tried removing the cap and re-installing with three to four clicks. Still no change. I'm going to wait until I fill up again and see if that helps...

Old 06-10-2006, 11:03 AM

I agree with you. Go with another tank of gas to see if it goes away. If it doesn't after a week of the new gas I'd contact the dealer. Maybe the cap is bad, or maybe there are other issues. Also, was the last place you filled where you normaly fill? Maybe you got some "bad gas" whatever that means

Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
This happened to me today.
I noticed it about half a mile after starting the car.

I did NOT just fill up; in fact, there are about 200 miles on this tank.
My cap was NOT loose; I always turn it so it clicks several times.
The metal body cover over the cap was not opened either.
It was a little hotter than usual this afternoon when I started the car (about 74 degrees.)
Why this happened is a mystery to me.

I stopped the car a half mile later as soon as I could safely pull over and took the key out of the ignition.
I took off and retightened the cap.
When I started the car the "Tighten Fuel Cap" message was still flashing.
I drove home with it flashing and read this thread, checked my manual, then went out and started my car again and the problem was gone.
I never needed to hold down the reset button.
For the record I have put another 300 miles on this same tank and the warning has not come back.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

I had the same message a few days after taking delivery, I retightened the cap, worried for a bit, read the manual, and yes, in a few days it did disappear. Not sure what the cause was, but haven't had any reoccurance.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fradubio
I had the same message a few days after taking delivery, I retightened the cap, worried for a bit, read the manual, and yes, in a few days it did disappear. Not sure what the cause was, but haven't had any reoccurance.
The system checks for gasoline vapors and if the cap wasn't closed tight, sometimes it comes up with a measurment. It's pretty common in all cars today.

Quick Reply: Check Fuel Cap message

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands