Cold Weather MPG - Feelin' Better

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Thumbs up Cold Weather MPG - Feelin' Better

I've been discouraged in the last week with my MPG. I live in Upstate NY, near Buffalo. Lately my MPG has been in high 30's and low 40's - even with the car warmed up. The temps have been from 10 - 24 degrees F. Today I went with our church youth group on a tubing outing. It was through the small foothiils around 40 miles in 16 F weather. I reset Trip A after the car warmed up (about 5 miles). On the way out I recorded 46.6 mpg (36.9 miles). On the way back I got 52.2 mpg (33.9 miles) same route but longer to warm up. Most of my work commute is after night. Does any one know if the sun helps mpg in same temperature range? I was surprised (and very pleased) to see how much better the mpg was on my trip today (better than EPA ). Last night I went about 10 miles in 10 degree F and only got about 40 mpg driving slow (with car warmed up). I posted my trip pictures for today (IMA) on the share site. I'm hoping for some 60 mpg this summer when the engine is broken in & temps are higher.

Last edited by Donald; 02-19-2006 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Add stuff.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Nerd
Default Re: Cold Weather MPG - Feelin' Better

The MPG displayed on the trip odometer is not MILES / GALLONS since reset. It is some kind of rolling average which is weighted heavily towards the last few miles. I've seen my guage go from 40MPG @ 240 miles to 50MPG @ 300 miles. That is not possible. The only accurate measurement is a fill-up, and there is some sampling error then too.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM
YA RLY.

Maybe you have the trip computer bug?

Old 02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't feel bad.

The MPG you would get in any other car would be much worse.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sledge
Maybe you have the trip computer bug?
Sledge,
I have watched it a few times on Trip A between 62-64 mi, and also at 124-128 mi. I've never seen it reset. I have noticed the instantaneous mpg go down from 100mpg to 0 or 5mpg while I'm going down a hill, no change in gas pedal or braking - go figure! I work 3rd shift, and wondered about the sun's effect. I'll watch this and post a new thread later.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
Don't feel bad.

The MPG you would get in any other car would be much worse.
Kenny,
You're absolutely right! It's easy to get caught up in the better mpg quest. But, sometimes it's just hard to figure all the feedback the gagues give you.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by guicide
The MPG displayed on the trip odometer is not MILES / GALLONS since reset. It is some kind of rolling average which is weighted heavily towards the last few miles. I've seen my guage go from 40MPG @ 240 miles to 50MPG @ 300 miles. That is not possible. The only accurate measurement is a fill-up, and there is some sampling error then too.
Guicide,
I do measure the tanks, and calculate my mpg. I have never changed Trip B since I got my HCH. It's been within a tenth of one mpg compared to what I've calculated (over 4 tanks). It's appeared to give me accurate readings when I reset. In other words if I was getting around 40 mpg with 1oo or 200 miles, when I reset after the car is warm, I generally get improved mpg. When I later fill up with gas, my overall mpg will be better than what I had been getting. It does seem like daytime trips are doing better, even when the temp is similar. I've noticed the autostop comes on more. At night it may not come on at all when it's below 20 deg. F. These are just some of my observations. The longer I drive the car, and compare things - the more I'll learn. Thanks for your note back. As Kenny pointed out, we're all doing much better than most folks.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guicide
You have the bug.