Could hybrids not longer qualify for HOV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Could hybrids no longer qualify for HOV?

Many may have seen this already, but starting in 2008, the new formula used to calculate MPG may knock down sticker mpgs by up to 30 percent, making most hybrids ineligible (45 mpg or better) for the HOV lane, at least by California standards:

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/times...g/13636335.htm

Last edited by BillR; 01-16-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Could hybrids not longer qualify for HOV?

I got a letter from California DMV saying they might revoke the hybrid HOV privilege, and that it will definitely expire in 2008. Overall tone was very threatening. I guess when everyone buys a hybrid to use the HOV lane it skews things. I bet Californians are eating up the supply of hybrids in other states as well.

Originally Posted by BillR
Many may have seen this already, but starting in 2008, the new formula used to calculate MPG may knock down sticker mpgs by up to 30 percent, making most hybrids ineligible (45 mpg or better) for the HOV lane, at least by California standards:

Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here in CA the original application stated 2008 expiration. It was in all the stories of the law passing that the stickers would only be good until 2008. I recieved the letter also it was in reference to fwy time restrictions. Some freeways here in Southern CA (10fwy east of LA) have time restrictions which state that from 5-9 am 4-7 pm the vehicle must have atleast 3 passengers. I still get on, I figure they will crackdown on the people with only 1 or 2 psg before they crackdown on the hybrid driver.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Could hybrids no longer qualify for HOV?

Originally Posted by BillR

As others have noted, the stickers are currently set to expire by 2008 anyway. If a new law is enacted to extend the hybrid stickers, it could easily also change the MPG requirements. It's all politics and none of us can know right now how it will turn out.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edovando
Here in CA the original application stated 2008 expiration. It was in all the stories of the law passing that the stickers would only be good until 2008. I recieved the letter also it was in reference to fwy time restrictions. Some freeways here in Southern CA (10fwy east of LA) have time restrictions which state that from 5-9 am 4-7 pm the vehicle must have atleast 3 passengers. I still get on, I figure they will crackdown on the people with only 1 or 2 psg before they crackdown on the hybrid driver.
Wow that's interesting. Does this mean our stickers wouldn't apply on the 10 freeway during these hours? I'm in So Cal and I dndn't receive a letter; I got a rather ominous little note about the potential expiration of stickers though.

Lansing

Old 01-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Banned
Default HOV A Good Hybrid Perk?

I guess that giving hybrids more access to HOV is a mixed results thing. It's social engineering designed to promote the use of more fuel-efficient vehicles. This sometimes conflicts with the primary objective of optimizing the smooth flow of traffic. Too many vehicles allowed on the HOV - more congestion. Just one driver in a six-seat hybrid - more congestion.

We have a number of hypermilers here. They probably would be going too slow to use the HOV lane.

I favor perks for all fuel-efficient vehicles, but the benchmark is constantly changing.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 01-18-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Here is what we do. Contact the original author and your local senator and representative and urge him/her to sponsor or support legislation extending the expiration of the HOV access for qualifying hybrid vehicles. The change in calculating mpg will affect all vehicles so the benchmark could be brought down from the current 45 mpg. As fairly new hybrid and HOV sticker owner, I haven't seen HOV lanes clogged with hybrids in my drives to SF and SJ. In fact, I notice more hybrids without the stickers than with especially when they are sitting in stop and go traffic during HOV lane hours. With respect to HOV lane capacity, it seems to me that there are a relatively small percentage of dedicated carpoolers. The majority of vehicles using these lanes appear to be buses, motorcyclists, two-passenger capacity vehicles, families, work crews and casual carpoolers (Bay Bridge). A lot of people do not have the flexibility to carpool so the HOV lane benefits a relative few without achieving its intended purpose of reducing the number of cars on the road.

Last edited by sactoroy; 01-18-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by sactoroy
The majority of vehicles using these lanes appear to be buses, motorcyclists, two-passenger capacity vehicles, families, work crews and casual carpoolers (Bay Bridge).
Well, a bus is the ultimate carpool. A motorcycle takes up much less space on the road than a four wheeled vehicle. Two passeneger vehicles have to have two passengers in them. They only get a break on I-80 and the Bay Bridge where it's HOV-3. Casual carpoolers are legitimate - each one subtracts a potential vehicle from the road. So .... most of the vehicles in the HOV lane are making good and legitimate use of it. Except for the scofflaws.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

That note was the same letter we are talking about. (Note is posted at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...3791#post43791) And yes I believe it means we are not suppose to ride the 10 during the restricted hours. I had a CHP in front of me today and boy did it make me nervous. A had my story prepared!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by edovando
That note was the same letter we are talking about. (Note is posted at https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...3791#post43791) And yes I believe it means we are not suppose to ride the 10 during the restricted hours. I had a CHP in front of me today and boy did it make me nervous. A had my story prepared!
It means nothing of the kind. The letter says that Caltrans may restrict clean air vehicle use of certain HOV lanes. It has not yet done so. If they do you'll hear about it.

It's sounds like I-10 is restrcited to HOV-3 during certain hours, just as I-80 is in the Bay Area. Clean air vehicles are still allowed on I-80.

Quick Reply: Could hybrids not longer qualify for HOV?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands