First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Friday night I experenced my first flat tire on my new '06 HCH. The flat was on the rear passenger side. I promptly pulled over to change the tire and install the douhgtnut. The scissor jack that comes with the car had no problem lifting the car but was very slow and a pain to use. Once the car was lifted I got the tire on and was back on the road in a min. On Saturday night I took the flat tire out of my car to inspect the damage and try to repair the tire. After about 20 min. of looking for a nail or screw or other forgien object nothing was found in the tread or the sidewall. Now being that I do not have a working air compressor to check for the leak I took the car up the street to National Tire and Battery. NTB found a very very small puncture to the sidewall of the tire which is unrepairable, so I have to buy a brand new tire. At first NTB said that they did not stock my tire. Then went to order the tire and get a price and then they told me that they could not even order the tire. What a bummer. I called another place and they couldn't get the tire either. I will call a few more places tomorrow. I also looked on the internet and no luck there. The tire is made by Dunlop, I went to their website and they didn't even have the tire listed there with the other tires. I know that this is a special tire being a low rolling resistance tire but It shouldn't be this hard to find. I hope that I do not have to go to the dealer for it because they will bend me over. I wil let everyone know my outcome.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Here is a link at TireRack.com ...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/OETire...cleSearch=true

$68 per tire, about $33 for the road hazard . If you have a hard time with the stock jack, you can always buy a hydraulic one at a relatively decent price at a parts store. Just make sure you buy one that will go low enough!!! I didn't pay attention once and I had purchased it to more easily get the car up for oil changes. I had to jack the car up to get the jack under it (I gave the it to someone with a higher vehicle ) Hope this helps!!!

Old 12-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Your Honda dealer doesn't stock the tires?

Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluesesshomaru17
Here is a link at TireRack.com ...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/OETire...cleSearch=true

$68 per tire, about $33 for the road hazard . If you have a hard time with the stock jack, you can always buy a hydraulic one at a relatively decent price at a parts store. Just make sure you buy one that will go low enough!!! I didn't pay attention once and I had purchased it to more easily get the car up for oil changes. I had to jack the car up to get the jack under it (I gave the it to someone with a higher vehicle ) Hope this helps!!!
Thanks for the link for the tires. If I can't find it anywhere around my house for that price I will buy from tire rack. $16.00 to ship a tire, not bad. The road hazzard is $33 but you have to buy all four tires to get it. I was already planning to buy a new jack just haddn't done it yet. I just thought that I told everyone else that it was slow to use.

As far as the dealer having the tires in stock I am sure that they do, but I don't want to go there unless I have too because I know they will marked up in price at the dealer.

Last edited by Adam_HybridCivic; 12-18-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
As far as the dealer having the tires in stock I am sure that they do, but I don't want to go there unless I have too because I know they will marked up in price at the dealer.
Now that you know the Tire Rack price, it doesn't hurt to call the dealer to ask. You might be surprised. The price difference may be less than the extra cost of shipping an internet order. The dealers know which items you can easily comparison shop, and they won't gouge you on those usually.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
Now that you know the Tire Rack price, it doesn't hurt to call the dealer to ask. You might be surprised. The price difference may be less than the extra cost of shipping an internet order. The dealers know which items you can easily comparison shop, and they won't gouge you on those usually.
Thats true, I'll call them too tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

You can also buy the road hazard warranty (Certificate) from Discount Tire. We did that on my Pilot and the Sub...haven't gotten around on the Ody yet, but at 30K miles, I probably won't. It saved me on both the Pilot and the Sub. The Sub tires were about $130 each...I paid about $80 for the Certificates. On the Pilot, I had two tires become damaged beyond repair. Certificates cost me about $100 (including the two replacement tires), and each tire had a retail value of around $80.

The other good thing that Discount has done for us is if the tire is not in stock, they will mount a loaner tire of equivalent size so that you can get the spare off the car in case another tire goes bad.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 PM
04 prius 350,000km

lol **** how did you blow your tire? i don t even have a spare on mine ;S

Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic

In making a buying decision like that I usually ask myself two questions: (a) how much $$ do I make an hour? (b) how much $$ do I then "spend" by using lots of hours looking around to beat a pre-existing price by a few dollars?

That's not to say that you can't save some serious bucks by shopping around (I usually do that online with a quick price compare any time I buy a new gizmo, consider shipping charges and delivery time vs. state sales tax, etc., or in-stock here or wait there, for a better price) but it's also easy to drive right past the exit called "Diminishing Returns" and not get off the freeway

Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There isn't any factory warranty on the tire from Dunlop? If I recall correctly, the Michelins that came with my '02 Acura TL were covered for 1 year, free replacement.

Quick Reply: First Flat Tire '06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands