HCH Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HCH Stereo Upgrade

At first I was afraid to mod anything in my HCH thinking I could harm the electrical. After reading a few threads I decided my car would not melt if I changed the stereo and the speakers. What convinced me of this was a post that stated the dealer sold replacement speakers for $9!!! About a year ago I installed the Alpine 9847 and ipod interface in my wifes' Jeep Liberty. I enjoy my iPod more than FM so decided to go with the same stereo for the HCH. I did not install the ipod option but instead did a few mods of my own. A local small stereo install shop sold me for $15 an adapter that plugs into the cd changer controller and allows you to plug in rca and use the stereos "Aux In". For power I took my iPod car charger cut the cable plugged it into the stereo power and I was good to go. I made a hole in the little slot below the stereo passed the 3.5 jack and power through and I was good to go. Saved $85 since I didn't have to buy the Alpine ipod interface I have ipod docked and the new controller and I feel like the king of my domain. One thing is missing though, an amplifier and some bass. I've haven't done it for fear of messing with electrical, any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: HCH Stereo Upgrade

The HCH does not have a regular alternator like other vehicles have. It has a power converter that transforms the 144 volt DC from the powertrain batteries to the 13.8 volt DC standard automotive battery, for the purpose of running the accesories.

Something that has been discussed in this forums, and apprently not much info exists, is how much extra power one can draw. The converter has a limited power capacity, and the stock battery has a smaller rating than a battery found in a car this size. Since I know that some power amps can draw in excess of 1000 watts, this added load could (with emphasis on the "could", meaning I'm not sure) cause some problems. Specially if you are using other power hungry accesories, like air conditioner and yor headlamps on, and the wipers going....

Let me state that I'm not saying that the system will not work... I'm only saying that this is unknown. Maybe other forum posters know more.

If I could give you any sort of advice, is to go for the efficient , "class-D" amplifiers. They draw much less current for a given amount of power than the more common and cheaper "class-AB" amps.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast

I installed a larger battery and John Waylands Signature Audio System (200-300 watts) in my 2000 Insight, which has nearly the identical hybrid system in it (if not *the* identical system), and ran it for 70k with no ill effects...

Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillR
I installed a larger battery and John Waylands Signature Audio System (200-300 watts) in my 2000 Insight, which has nearly the identical hybrid system in it (if not *the* identical system), and ran it for 70k with no ill effects...
Did you install an amp with that or just a bigger battery?

Last edited by edovando; 01-10-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fernando_g
Since I know that some power amps can draw in excess of 1000 watts, this added load could (with emphasis on the "could", meaning I'm not sure) cause some problems. Specially if you are using other power hungry accesories, like air conditioner and yor headlamps on, and the wipers going....

Let me state that I'm not saying that the system will not work....
That is exactly what I am saying!!! I'm afraid of drawing to much power. One of the possibilities I had considered was adding a 1 or 1.2 Farad Battery. But then again how will this interact with all the other batteries? As it is if you have the lights on and you raise two windows at the same time pay attention to the window raise speed and the dimming of the lights!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edovando
Did you install an amp with that or just a bigger battery?
Part of the system was a power amp (200-300 watts) bolted under the passenger seat...I miss that system!. Here it is:

http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland/main.html

Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by edovando
One of the possibilities I had considered was adding a 1 or 1.2 Farad Battery.
That sound like a good idea. This is recommended even for vehicles with hefty alternators and batteries.

On my '05 HCH I've added a 13.8 digital battery voltmeter (I'll post a picture of it tomorrow), which helps me keep tabs on the battery voltage. This could assist you in determining if you are drawing too much power, to cut out the consumption somewhere. For instance, if you lower a window, you'll probably mute the amp. Likewise, if you are using the rear defroster, which is a power hog, you may refrain from using the amp altogether.

Just an idea. Besides, it is a nice complement to the instrument cluster.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 AM

I replaced my battery and upgraded the chassis ground and ran 1/0 wire to my trunk. I am running about 2100W RMS without a problem.

check out http://www.cardomain.com/id/tdb30 for detailed specs. I have an 03 HCH. The stock battery died (Heh it couldn't keep up) but now that I have a larger battery shoehorned in I haven't had a problem.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fernando_g
That sound like a good idea. This is recommended even for vehicles with hefty alternators and batteries.

For instance, if you lower a window, you'll probably mute the amp. Likewise, if you are using the rear defroster, which is a power hog, you may refrain from using the amp altogether.
Wow, with that amount of wattage, I would think you'd be able to just shake any moisture off the rear window.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: HCH Stereo Upgrade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands