HCHII v. TCH

Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCHII v. TCH

So, I test drove a Toyota Camry Hybrid today. It was loaded with Nav and everything else.

It was nice, but honestly, I was expecting more. I was hoping for slightly bigger, nicer, more comfortable, more expensive, with slightly less mpg. On paper it was all those things, but from my experience at the dealership today I didn't feel it was a big improvement over my current ride.

The seats are slightly more comfortable, but the thigh support is still lacking. There is more cushion and range of motion, but I was expecting near-Lexus like comfort. Nothing beats the current IS and LS for seat comfort. This car wasn't even close. Also, curious to note about the heated seats -- they are either on or off with no dial or even High/Low. Weird.

As far as room, it seems much larger on the outside, but only fractionally so on the inside. My baseball cap kept rubbing the edge of the sunroof. Without that I'd prob fit fine in the front (I fit fine in the new Accord WITH a sunroof). The rear seat was not that grand either. I put my daughter's carseat in the back and I can't imagine anyone wanting to sit in the middle with that there.

The ride was smooth, controlled, and comfortable. Exactly, what you would expect. I never felt the engine shut off. It was cold and raining.

I forgot to check the trunk space! I know there is a big missing section of the trunk, but I think they rearranged things for the '09s back there. I was planning on checking to see if it looked like Granni's wheelchair would fit back there. Currently, we just let it hang out of the trunk of the HCHII.

They checked their network and there are TCHs out there with leather heated seats that do not have a sunroof. Apparently, they are rare. Once such example had a sticker price of just a hair under $30k. If I were loaded I would prob make the minor upgrade to it, but I guess it's currently not worth it to me. I only owe $15k on my HCH with 15k miles. Giving that up seems like such a waste.

So, overall I liked it, but I never had the eureka moment that THIS was the car! I look forward to the Lexus version of the Prius.

nf

P.S. I also sat in a Highlander and noticed the seats were a big improvement over the Siennas. Makes me hopeful for the next generation of Sienna due in 2010.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII v. TCH

How is the pass-through clearance for the rear folding seats? When perusing these in a dealership I noticed that the rear seats are the split-folding type but the opening is so small -- and only on one side, what's up with that? -- that it has limited practical use.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Like the trunk, I forgot to check the pass through.

I think it's better in the '09, though.

nf

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
USAF Retired

The battery ventilation takes up a lot of the space in the pass-through. The trunk is about the same as the HCHII, with a tiny pass-through.
The nav system is so much better on Hondas, though. We have a 2008 Tundra with nav, and it is primitive compared to the Honda nav. And of course, noone can use it while you are moving.
As far as the seat comfort, I have found most japanese cars are lacking in seat range adjustment. I have our Tundra fully raised on the front, and it is barely adequate. I have no such problem with our older Dodge pickup.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:04 PM

What did you expect? After all, it IS a Camry....

What did you think about the HSD? I'm not a big fan, although that is mostly because of my suburban commute. If I drove in more stop and go, I would probably like it more than IMA, but I stop as infrequently as possible...

Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Honestly, I didn't notice much about what was powering the car on my 15 minute test drive. It was cold and raining and I could swear the ICE never kicked off.

There is no good replacement for the HCHII. Whenever I think there might be, I go test drive it and I end up loving my HCHII more.

Cheers, nf

Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What I have observed is that Camry Hybrids tend to never auto stop their internal combustion engines during cold weather. This is from watching steaming car exhaust over a long stretch of road with multiple stops, long enough for a car to warm up.