HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Old 12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
"Manalo"
Default Re: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

So you've only changed the oil and not flushed it instead? Wouldn't it be best to flush than to change the CVT oil? If so, how often?

Old 12-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

By flushing, do you mean a chemical that you add to the transmission? If so, I'm not so sure I would want to do that with the CVT. On a convention transmission I don't see it as a problem. I'm not sure what those nasty chemicals would do to the belts in the transmission. Anyone have any learned thoughts on the subject?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:09 PM
"Manalo"

Merrry Xmas!

By flushing, I mean by replacing ALL the old fluid stored into your transmission. Just by changing the oil in your transmission alone will only replace the oil stored into the oil pan. However, there is still oil that lingers in other compartments of the transmission. THerefore a flush would be the best option to completely replace the transmission oil.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

So how do you do this? Removing the transmission case cover would not allow any more fluid to be removed than if you simply used the drain bolt. How do you get the extra fluid out?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by cb450sc
So how do you do this? Removing the transmission case cover would not allow any more fluid to be removed than if you simply used the drain bolt. How do you get the extra fluid out?
Probably by attaching a special fitting to the filler tube and forcing fresh fluid under slight pressure thru the system until the stuff coming out of the drain plug is nice and clean.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:06 AM
"Manalo"

Originally Posted by cb450sc
THere are two methods that I know of that you could completely flush out your transmission. You could first drain your transmission by taking off the return oil hose (to CVT oil pan) and use your transmission pump by turning on the car while draining the oil until fluid comes out light and clean. During this process, oil needs to be added to ensure transmission is completely flushed out. This method would require that you keep track of how much oil comes out and how much needs to be replaced. I've used this method on my Toyota Tacoma and works just fine. The other method, which is mentioned in the owner's manual is by draining the oil pan, drive around the block, and repeat few times until fluid comes out clear. This method sounds easier and less mess in my opinion. Hope that helps

Old 12-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I will use the second method.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am changing my ATF today. I took off the top ATF fill bolt first as suggested. I borrowed an extra bar for my ratchet just in case it was too tight. I didn't have any problems taking it of at all. I didn't need the extra torque to get it off. The drain plug was the harder of the two for me to get off. Mushed the fingers when it finally let lose. I am just waiting for it to stop dripping out. It has been 45 minutes and it is still dripping every couple of seconds. I did'nt think it would drip this long.
Anyway the pictures really helped. I still took me a few minutes to find the ATF fill bolt at the top. Thanks for a great post. I'm hoping that the dripping has stopped by now so that I can fill it up.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 AM
World's First Hybrid

This was copied from a previous post, (not sure who posted it), but it believe that it would apply to ATF fluid change as well. There is truth in it as well. Been there done that myself... except for the DUI.....Enjoy,

Just for you oil changing novices and old hands:

Oil Change for your new Civic Hybrid

Instructions for Women:
1) Drive to a Honda Dealer.
2) Drink a free cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave.
Money spent: $25.00

Instructions for Men:
1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner, a scented-car-hangy-things, and write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by the local Stop-And-Rob, buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, and drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 boxed-end wrench.
9) Give up and use Crescent adjustable wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil and splash hot oil on you. Cuss.
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off face and arms. Throw some kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up, crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter, and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him.
Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of saving it for recyle.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer? No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to Stop-And-Rob, buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard, along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel-out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily dirt back into hole. Steal sand from kids sandbox to cleverly cover oily
patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid Crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on car frame in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing-fit.
34) Throw stupid Crescent wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead, then bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled-over and arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.
Money spent: Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00
Total $4,165.00
BUT you know the job was done right!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Ralph_dog... you are on "Bob's" oil forum as well I see. I didn't quite spend that amount of money or time but it beat the heck out of helping my wife cleanout my sons room.
Now that I am finished just a couple of comments for other people. First, it was very easy to do, don't be afraid to do this yourself. Second, I am still trying to find out how much ATF I was supposed to add. The shop manual says 2.9 litres, the owners manual states 3.1 litres and the Honda dealer says 2.5 litres should be fine. After I purchased the AT fluid I find that it is in U.S. quarts anyway, so I should have thrown the litres out the window. I added 3 quarts. I am going to give it a couple of days and check it on the dipstick. Third, for people who had a tough time getting the ATF fill bolt off... did yours have a rubber washer on it? Mine did and it was easy to get off. You may want to check that the next time you change the fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Changing CVT Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands