How do I hookup an iPod to my 2005 HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Enthusiast
Question How do I hookup an iPod to my 2005 HCH?

I would like to hookup my iPod to my stock stereo so that the CD controls control the iPod directly. P.I.E. makes a product that looks like it can do it (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/log...on98pcpod.html) but I would like to know if anyone has tried it?

I have an FM transmitter but that is not a great solution. Anyone?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How do I hookup an iPod to my 2005 HCH?

Not having an iPod or an MP3 player for that matter, I'd like to know what would be wrong with the FM transmitter? How well do they work and how is the sound quality compared to an 'RCA Input' style connector for an iPod?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Master Commander

The thing about FM transmitters is that it is good in some areas and horrible in others. I had a FM transmitter for when I first got my Delphi Skyfi XM Radio installed and I found myself constantly changing because of static interference. I live around the chicagoland area and so there are a good amount of radiowaves bouncing off everywhere. Anyways, I eventually decided to get an aftermarket receiver with an AUX input and now I can pretty much listen to anything I want with it and come out crystal clear, no problems. I've hooked up my brother's IPOD MINI, my SKYFI DELPHI, and another no name mp3 and they have come out fine. I own a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. I think there was one string on this chatboard that linked to one device that would give the stock radio an audio AUX for around 70 dollars, but the one listed here is cool too because it'll also charge your IPOD. I have no clue how well these work, but it is your choice how you want to mod your car, so have fun. Hope I helped.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

The thing about this P.I.E. iPod controller is that it actually lets you control the iPod from the radio's CD controls (fwd, rwd, next, etc), not from the iPod itself. Trying to change songs on the iPod while driving is not easy. I would much rather use the CD controls from the stock radio.

And yes, it also charges the iPod, so that's a bonus. I want to simply hide my iPod in the glove compartment or somewhere and have access to all my music.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast

I commute to the bay area and once you hit Berkeley to SF, there's no FM signal you can cut through. I tried the Monster cable, Itrip, and iRiver FM modulators without much luck. My next attempt will be with the C.Crane FM modulator. it's suppose to be more powerful than the others I mentioned. I looked at the PIE unit and read somewhere that you disable the CD player in order to gain the AUX input. I was hoping that PIE would have some better solution when they show at the CES show coming up. Anyway this was more a rant than help.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

there were previous threads i posted in addressing this.

I installed a completely new head unit with a direct AUX-in so that the Ipod could be plugged in using a male-male stereo wire.

click here for the thread with pix/install

and click here for the thread showing how to connect ipod

don't go for the FM transmitter things. I used one for a while (griffin itrip) but then sold it to somebody else. the static just doesn't cut it. with a direct aux-in sound is much, much cleaner.

you could also buy a cable to hook up your ipod to the stock head unit as if it were a 6-cd changer.

Last edited by bluecivichybrid; 12-07-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:59 AM
04 prius 350,000km

i use a sf250 sound tranmitter and it works great!

Old 12-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kangeroo82
The thing about FM transmitters is that it is good in some areas and horrible in others.
I use an FM transmitter for my Sirius Satellite radio. I actually had to take the car antenna off to get the static to go away, but it worked. I can still get FM stations (the strong ones), but I listen to Sirius probably 99% of the time. I just got an iPod - I'm considering just getting a new radio installed that has both satellite built in and input jacks for an iPod.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I put in one of these
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

A bit pricey but works very well and looks cool.

Clay

Old 12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clayk
I put in one of these
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

A bit pricey but works very well and looks cool.

Clay
That is cool. Did you install it yourself or did you have to have it installed by an authorized dealer? MSRP looks like $200. Is that the typical street price and how much was it to have it installed?

Quick Reply: How do I hookup an iPod to my 2005 HCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands