Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light Came on

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light Came on

I have only had my 09 Civic Hybrid for 2 months, and just recently my low-tire pressure indicator light came on. It's a yellow light with an exclamation mark with a u-shaped thing below it, on the right hand side of the tachometer. I checked all 4 tires and made sure they were all inflated to at least 32-35 psi at the gas station today. The indicator light is still on. Has this happened to anybody else? Is the system already faulty?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Low Tire Pressure Indicator Light Came on

Happens to me too from time to time. Our tires are fine I'm sure, it is the change in temerature, and air expands....

If still under warranty (and if they do it for free) get nitrogen put in. I won't expand, etc. I am going to do that.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maloski
<snip>I checked all 4 tires and made sure they were all inflated to at least 32-35 psi at the gas station today.<snip>
Try to do your inflations when the tires are as close to cold as possible, ie: at the closest practical gas station. The further you've driven the more they will warm up. The tire pressure spec. on the sticker in door well is cold pressure. In a pinch when putting in air after driving a "fair" distance, go 2~4 lbs. over, and then recheck when cold.

Also, how good is your gauge? Are you using your own, or the gas station's, or just that funky thing on the pump hose?

Also, consider bumping them up, say to around 40 lbs (verify the max pressure indicated on the sidewall is still higher, likely 44). This will be more likely to rule out measurement inaccuracies, and improve your mileage as well. The only downside is a harsher ride.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Guess I need to use a better guage. I took it into the dealer today to have them look at it (among other things), and apparently my tire pressures were all over the place. It was mainly the back ones that were low. Anybody have any good recommendations on an affordable accurate pressure guage?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the steel "pencil" style are pretty dependable, the simple ones with the calibrated cylinder that pushes out with air pressure. I've got several, not even sure of the brands, but they're pretty consistant. Just don't go for some little key chain tire gauge, the kind tire dealers tend to give away.

The main thing is to get the hang of quickly and firmly pushing them down onto the valve rim. And also, cold checks are best.