Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

So, my girlfriend has an 06 HCH that after a very long and painful process finally got her rear control arms and 4 tires replaced by Honda (when she initially reported the tire cupping to the dealer she was told that it was because her alignment was out, they checked and it wasn't, that she hadn't rotated the tires enough, etc.)

So she's been rotating the tires at 6k like they said...yesterday I took them to be rotated again after another 6k and she mentioned that the tires were "roaring" again....the technician's that rotated the tires put on the invoice that all four tires were "cupping" on the inside with the worst being now on the driver's side front...when driving it home I could clearly hear how loud they are.

It appears that replacing the rear control arms hasn't cured the problem....anyone else having any issues since they had their control arms replaced?

Guess we're back to the dealer to start all over....and I was sure looking forward to purchasing the new Insight or Fit Hybrid when they came out...

Thanks,

Frank

Old 11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

Once the tires are cupped, they're cupped.
Fixing the alignment and control arms will not change that fact. Either live with the noise as they "re-wear" back towards even-wear again, or replace 'em. I replaced mine. Quiet-city.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Diesel driver

Our office's staff HCH II has loud roaring from the rear and at the car's first service at 10,000 km, I told the fellow taking the car in to mention the Service Bulletin and the noise.

We got the car back at the end of the day and the service advisor at Discovery Honda in Duncan British Columbia said:

Your car has some cupping on the rear tires and you should get an alignment done.
Gee thanks dude, we had no f'n idea. Unfortunately it was not me picking the car up, otherwise the fur would have been flying.

So when it goes in for the second service, this Service Bulletin and alignment will be something they will be explicitly invited to do.

The myth of the perfect Japanese car has been well and truly busted. Oh and it averages 5.63 L/100 km, which is OK, but fully 25% more fuel consumed than the Transport Canada combined rating. But on the Spritmonitor.de website, this is par for the car.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry Steve,

I guess I wasn't clear in my message...she had the control arms replaced, front end aligned AND 4 new tires put on at the same time...around 12k miles ago. The tires were rotated twice in that time period so all of them have some cupping on them...

Since they seem to be cupping again it appears that maybe replacing the control arms didn't fix the problem....that's why I was posting here wondering if anyone else that had this TSB done (new control arms, alignment, maybe replace tires) is having any more cupping issues...

Thanks,

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Energy Independence

Frobey,
no it was I that didn't read your message right...

Anyway, I wonder did they possibly NOT realign the car (or not properly) after replacing the rear control arms? I've not heard of continuing problems AFTER getting the rear control arms replaced.
Mine have been done now for a few thousand miles, so it's too soon to know for sure - but my car is quiet now, and I see no signs of cupping on the new Michelins I put on right after my replacement arms.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:05 AM

Thanks for this information, I have a look on my European Civic...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

I just had the control arms replaced and the six bolts- they also did the alignment.

I noticed that in the pics near the beginning the arms have a "C" stamped on them. The ones I got have an "A" they definately look new- I don't trust my dealership unfortunately so I check up on things they do when I can.

Curious if maybe they put the wrong part on it? It was done at Diamond Valley Honda in Hemet, CA. They were better then I was expecting- especially since I have been complaining of a right "drift" since the beginning of ownership- even the sales guy during the test drive noticed it. He told me to drive it about 1,000 miles and bring it in because something with the weight of the Hybrid battery and it had to be reset-(the suspension/alignment) sounded believable.

I first called in and the service dept didn't know what I was talking about so I brought it in anyway-they did an "alignment" but nothing on the invoice about an alignment- just an 'inspection' so I don't think it was done-it just said that it was in specifications- this was back in around January 08- I bought the car in Dec 07 and have a 100 mile commute (each way) I'm in the Navy so I don't have much time to talk to the service department in person and generally don't like to nag about things. (normally i just drop the car off on a friday night and pick it up Saturday afternoon/evening and have little interaction in person). Next time I brought it in at 10k (around March 08) for the first service they looked at it again and said that my right tires were at 65PSI and my left at 30 or something. I check tire pressure at home quite a bit and knew this wasn't right- especially since I keep them at 42-44 and it was never "reset" to the 32 or whatever is on the door during any service, but they did manage to lose a valve stem cap! I'm not a physicist or anything but I would think that would cause a car to drift left (towards the lower pressure)?..It's drifting right (still to this day is even after the arm replacement)

At around 18k-20k Miles (maybe July 08) I brought it in again for oil and again complained of the alignment/drift- this was definately after the April service bulletin- I was told that the alignment warranty was over at 12k and I would have to pay for it- I'm a bit strapped for cash and honestly it wasn't "that" bad and if a used car I would more then likely just deal with it. I wasn't thrilled with Honda at this point and just lived with it- I was getting better then expected mileage (53-55 on the computer) 57-60 actual.

Right around 30k (maybe Nov 08) I brought it in for service (oil/tranny) and this time I didn't see anybody other then picking it up from the sales guys late at night and I noticed it said feathering on all 4 tires- I started looking into it and came across this forum.

The tires actually aren't that bad- I do 95% freeway driving and take it easy- but they definately have uneven wear and I'm over the mileage for any type of replacement- I can live with the noise and figure I'll get 40-50k out of the set which I suppose is average.

Rambled on quite a bit and if you're still with me I'm just curious mainly on if they did the job right with the correct parts? and B) opinions if I should complain/escalate this story to the service manager to try and get some sort of tire/time replacement? I'm not looking to get an unfair advantage from these guys- and I think getting new/prorated tires is just that- but I think that in one way or another I was dicked around with and curious what others opinions/thoughts are?

Thanks for your time!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPIRITBEE76
I would like to thank who ever made this post!!!!! I went to my 1st dealer back in July stating the my steering wheel had vibration. The guy there got all rude with me and would not assist me. I thought about it and state why would I go back to this dealership with the service manager acting all rude. I went to my 2nd dealer explaining the same thing they state I need my control arms replaced and it would cost me $372.00. I thought it would be a simple fix to the car (tires, or alignment only) I finally got the car fix with the control arms and my car still shakes. I was charge for the service and the car still has steering issues. I took my car back the 2nd time explain my car steering is not right. The service tech explain that I need new tires(which would cost $500.00) I explain to him that I will pay near $900.00 for an alignment issues and it might not be fix correctly. I hung up the phone nicely might I add. I happen to do a search online and found this website ****THANK GOD**** I read the post and called American Honda and I explain to her what happen she stated the dealers was unprofessional they just fix the issues with no charge and that I would get a refund back. I did tell her that it too a blog to get honest answer about the issues with my car after several attempts to fix the issues. I will get a refund on this service **thank goodness** she waiting to see if I can get my tires replace also. **crossing fingers**

THIS WILL BE MY FIRST AND LAST HONDA DUE TO POOR SERVICE!!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED AND ONLY HAD THE CAR ONE YEAR.

I'm glad to hear that you got your money back. They shouldn't have charged you. If you ever have more problems, do the same thing and call Honda of America. They can usually sort things out for you.

Honda's are economy cars will be a little rougher and louder. Some people aren't used to this, and there's nothing wrong with that. My mom really dislikes the car. Hopefully, by the time you are in the market for a new car there will be a better hybrid or electric car for you.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

If inside tire wear means control arm/camber problems, what does outside tire wear mean? My 06 HCH tires made it 37k miles but but if wear had been even they may have gone longer (inside wear not nearly as bad). I saved one of the tires I replaced just in case.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by jaykay
If inside tire wear means control arm/camber problems, what does outside tire wear mean?
Also a camber problem, but likely caused by a poor (or never done) alignment, rather than out-of-spec control arms.

Quick Reply: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands