Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:00 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Hi Everyone;

Want to read about what kind of MPG you can get with your HCH II?

Read my Thread on my trip on Easter Sunday.

Click on Link below for the Complete Story:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-18-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Would it be correct to assume that you had a tailwind?

Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Terry, Great accomplishment! I have not had the warm weather or flat terrain to acheive those numbers yet but I know the HCHII can do it. Is that correct that you put 55 psi in your tires?!!? I went up to about 48 psi. That did well for me for a while, however for the whole month of March we had very strong winds here and I found myself battling with the car to stay in the lane and to achieve good FE. I lower back down to 42 psi, and now everything is much better. The wind has since left Maryland, so I may try and air up again.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:16 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Originally Posted by Cryx
Would it be correct to assume that you had a tailwind?
Cryx;

I guess it would be safe to say that there was a tail-wind and at the same time, one could say that there was, front winds as well as side winds.

Regardless of which way the wind was blowing covering two states and a trip that was 271.4 miles long, the MPG is exact as the Documentation shows.

I see you own a HCH II so this I would think would be of Great-Interest to you to see what the HCH II can get for FE.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
Terry, Great accomplishment! I have not had the warm weather or flat terrain to acheive those numbers yet but I know the HCHII can do it. Is that correct that you put 55 1/4 PSI in your tires?!!? I went up to about 48 psi. That did well for me for a while, however for the whole month of March we had very strong winds here and I found myself battling with the car to stay in the lane and to achieve good FE. I lower back down to 42 psi, and now everything is much better. The wind has since left Maryland, so I may try and air up again.
Hi Adam,

You are correct in your statement about how the wind can effect the handling when the tires are really pumped up. I did have mine on the Max PSI Listed on the Sidwall of the tires. (44 PSI) I then raised the tire pressure on up to the now, (55 1/4 LB.) for all 4-tires. The wind can kinda move the car around or at least it seems like it trys to. I can handle it so I am going to keep the tires on the (55 1/4 Lbs.) of air pressure. Just as a comment on that. You actually adjust to the increased tire pressure and after awhile you really do-not pay any attention to the wind. You kinda feel it, but you just automatically adjust to it and soon you pay No-Attention to it at all.

The other thing that I am going to do as soon as I can is to up-grade my engine oil. I will change the oil in it, to {Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0-20}.
I think that will also be of benefit to the engine and add to the FE/MPG.

Note: Nice hearing from you it's been awhile. I spend 98 % of time now on another Forum. So I don't get back here like I used to in the past. I just thought that this Thread I just did was important enough for me to provide the Link for you Members here on GreenHybrid to read. Hope it gave you all information that maybe you had not seen before.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I guess it would be safe to say that there was a tail-wind and at the same time, one could say that there was, front winds as well as side winds.

Regardless of which way the wind was blowing covering two states and a trip that was 271.4 miles long, the MPG is exact as the Documentation shows.
I apologize if you think I'm disputing your mpg. In fact, congratulations!

I asked because I have have noticed that wind strength and direction can make a huge difference in mileage. For instance, this past weekend I took a 224 mile trip to Chicagoland. On the way up I had a headwind and got 45 mpg. On the way back, I had a side/tailwind and got 52 mpg. I drove as you did: pure cruise, no tricks.

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I see you own a HCH II so this I would think would be of Great-Interest to you to see what the HCH II can get for FE.
Yes, it is interesting to see what I might achieve. At the same time, I think it is a disservice to give false expectations to potential buyers. The average owner will unfortunately not see repeatable mileage like yours.

The HCH needs the right conditions (temp, wind) to achieve good mileage. Either you drove during good conditions, and/or you have an extra special car!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

terry, nice job man, but you have to try 53 mph instead of 55. I get EVERYDAY over 60 mpg this way (lately, (thanks again kenny))... today I had 63.1 for 165 miles. Those 165 miles were like mixed, city/highway/carpool lane/bumper2bumper traffic/parkinglots ... been inbetween 1000 ft difference twice, big long uphills, etc...

this car amazes me EVERYDAY

tires pressure: 45
preffered CC speed: 53
station: 94.7 The WAVE

Old 04-18-2006, 09:40 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Originally Posted by Cryx
I apologize if you think I'm disputing your mpg. In fact, congratulations!

I asked because I have have noticed that wind strength and direction can make a huge difference in mileage. For instance, this past weekend I took a 224 mile trip to Chicagoland. On the way up I had a headwind and got 45 mpg. On the way back, I had a side/tailwind and got 52 mpg. I drove as you did: pure cruise, no tricks.

Yes, it is interesting to see what I might achieve. At the same time, I think it is a disservice to give false expectations to potential buyers. The average owner will unfortunately not see repeatable mileage like yours.

The HCH needs the right conditions (temp, wind) to achieve good mileage. Either you drove during good conditions, and/or you have an extra special car!
Cryx;

Quote from above: At the same time, I think it is a disservice to give false expectations to potential buyers. The average owner will unfortunately not see repeatable mileage like yours.

This is a Picture of the last tank of gas before I Re-Filled it to make the trip to Ky. You will see that even in these very-poor conditions that the HCH II still does alright as far as FE. Not maybe Great, but certainly Very-Good. The people I work with get around 12-16 MPG in their vehicles that they all drive.

Click on Pic. to Enlarge:

The miles driven on this partial tank of gas are: 376.3
The Computer MPG is:.................................41.0

So as you say we don't want to Mis-Lead people and this is the MPG under what I would say is Very-Bad Conditions for getting any kind of FE. (Fuel-Economy).

Hope this additional information clears up some of your concerns on the true FE of the HCH II. Last comment, The (63.6 MPG) was reached by doing nothing more than setting the Cruise Control on 55 MPH and leaving the A/C-Off. No-Tricks here, just the HCH II doing the driving and me sitting in the drivers seat. So, once again I really do-not think it would be Mis-Leading to a Potential Buyer unless I did some kind of Trick to get the 63.6 MPG and that was not the case I promise you.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-19-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can't find the original story, on that page all I can find is replies. Why not post it here - since you posted news about it here anyway, just post the whole story.

Anyway, sounds like you experienced a true miracle, I hope you can keep them up. I have had miraculous tanks too, but I have not found them to be sustainable.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:57 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Originally Posted by masgian
terry, nice job man, but you have to try 53 mph instead of 55. I get EVERYDAY over 60 mpg this way (lately, (thanks again kenny))... today I had 63.1 for 165 miles. Those 165 miles were like mixed, city/highway/carpool lane/bumper2bumper traffic/parkinglots ... been inbetween 1000 ft difference twice, big long uphills, etc...

this car amazes me EVERYDAY

tires pressure: 45
preffered CC speed: 53
station: 94.7 The WAVE
Hey what can I say. You are getting it done. I think that I need to say Congrats to you for the FE you are getting every-day.

Very nice indeed. Thumbs-Up !!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sticky: READ THE *** MPG *** RESULTS on HCH II here on Tiger's Easter Trip to Ky.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands