Tires and Transmission Fluid after 24,000? Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tires and Transmission Fluid after 24,000? Seriously?

My number 3 came on telling me I needed to change transmission fluid, which scared the heck out of me since that was something I'd never had to do on a regular car. While there (I also needed an oil change), my dealership said, "your right rear tire needs to be replaced".

Is it common for a Civic Hybrid to need new tires (my other tires are close to the same wear) and transmission after less than 24,000 miles? If I get new tires, can anyone recommend something that'll last me without killing my mileage?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tires and Transmission Fluid after 24,000? Seriously?

Very normal for a CVT transmission. It will take a drain and add 3 quarts. I just installed Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. LRR tires on my HCH2 and am very impressed with the performance and FE.Lots of other brands , but make sure you install LRR type tires for best FE. H

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Engineering Professor

The Honda CVT has had a history of problems that led to Honda requiring frequent ATF refreshes. If you want any automatic transmission to have a long life, periodic (usually every 30k miles) draining and refilling with the correct ATF is a good idea.

If you are having premature or uneven tire wear get an alignment.

JeffD

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast

OMG. wheel alignment? that will cost you.

Our car has problem with the Camber ARM.

I just toke my Hybrid for an alignment and they told me they cant do the alignment because i need to purchase a new camber kit for the Rear and Front. The Original Camber Arm is not adjustable. and i need to purchase an aftermarket one which could be adjusted

this is what i purchase. i will install it this week. i will post some pictures and installation instruction. .

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts...amber-kit.html

The installation is easy

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

By the way.. Do your Tranny Fluid change from the Dealer.

Reason:

The Fluid is expensive
and if you do it your self. you will only save About $20

Plus they are certified and they do this all the time.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Simple job to do it yourself! Just drain and add three quarts thru the dip stick entry. The top plug is difficult to get out. Check out a early thread on how to do. Very simple! H

Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Seriously, the cvt fluid did not bother me even a little, fairly cheap routine maintence and for the smoothness of the cvt transmission a small price to pay.
The tires howver, I am beyond furious, I have NEVER had tires with such a short life, I got about 20K off this set, to add insult to injury there is no tread life warranty on them...I have STRONGLY voiced my displeasure with Honda, their attitude has been less then gracious...but, I have a friend who bought a Ford Fiesta paid to upgrade the tires and they only lasted 20k a well...I think it is an industry trend to use tires that have brand names on them but cheaper quality....I will never buy a Dunlop tire again, I am not sure about Honda at this point....but they saved $10 per car I bet....*&$*@* beancounters.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Bob:
How are the Fuel Max tires treating you. Big jump in FE for me. I am running max cold temp. pressures however.I really like them over the OME that came with the car! H

Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have not bought them yet, limping along on so so tires for a couple more weeks until I can afford them :-)....I am having second thoughts about the fuelmax since I figured out Goodyear is Goodyear/Dunlop. I have been researching tires and am looking at the Kumho ecosolus kr22...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Tires and Transmission Fluid after 24,000?

The original Dunlop tires on my HCHII lasted 28K miles. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto tires that I bought at Costco. The car now has 80K miles and the tires are about 3/4 used. I expect that I will end up with 60~70K miles on this second set of tires.

Also, the recommended CVT fluid change is 30K miles which I do myself. 10K for oil and rotate tires, 20K for oil filter, and 30K for air & cabin filters + CVT fluid.

Brake fluid flush every 3 years, and spark plugs and valve adjustment at 100K miles.

This is the schedule that I maintain on my HCHII, and have had excellent reliability on with the car. The Maintenance minder is for the automotive illiterate.

Quick Reply: Tires and Transmission Fluid after 24,000? Seriously?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands