Warning Light – Gas Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default Warning Light – Gas Low

I was wondering how far you could drive, after the warning light comes on.

According to my calculations, based on the quantity to fill at the time my light came on versus the tank capacity. There was 7 liters left in my tank, (or 1.5 imperial gallons or 1.8 us gallons). This based on a 47 liter tank as per Honda specs for the 2006 Civic Hybrid.

Over my past 16 fill-ups, I have averaged 57.7 MPG (imp), or 48.1 MPG (us) or 4.89(liter/100Km). That said; I should be able to drive 86.5 miles after my light comes on, or about 139.2 Km . The furthest I have driven is 30 miles or about 50 kilometers before refueling without any problem.

How far have you driven in your 2006 HCH after your low fuel warning light came on?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Warning Light – Gas Low

I've managed drive 47km after the warning light appeared. If I recall, it became a 39 liters fillup (Husky/Mohawk 10% ethanol blend).

I typically avoid driving on an empty tank for very long. For me the risks are high and the benefits are non-existent.

Regards;

MSantos

Old 08-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The problem is you don't know exactly how much gas was in it when it was "full".

If the tank holds 47 liters how do you know that is exactly what went in there?
The pumps shut off based on back pressure.
How do you know it is calibrated for a back pressure that corresponds to exactly 47 liters?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Enthusiast

I read the quantity pumped from the pump! But lets get back on topic.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe the manual states that the light comes on when there are approxmilately 1.7 gallons left in the tank.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
I believe the manual states that the light comes on when there are approxmilately 1.7 gallons left in the tank.
Correct. It amounts to 6.2 liters of remaining fuel (1.71 US gal). In theory, if the vehicle is driven on levelled roads you should be able to do more than 100Km on that gas - provided that the NRCan economy rating (4.7 liters/100km city) holds of course.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NovaScotian
How far have you driven in your 2006 HCH after your low fuel warning light came on?
Don't have the slightess idea. It was very late and it left like the light was on for a very long time. I was headed to Yosemite and I was in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't find a gas station. This was my first 600 mile tank. Man I started driving as efficient as I knew how. Using extreme P&G on the freeway luckily I found a gas station and I was the only person on the road. Funny thing the gas station was closed but, the pumps were still "on". I think that might be a Northern Cali thing cause all the stations as I drove by looked closed. 613 miles that tank with the fill-up requiring 11.2 gallons. I felt stupid after finding I still had over a gallon to go.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Proud owner HCHII

I regard the warning light as just that - a warning. I then drive until no bars are showing, then I fill up in the next 5-10miles. I always have at least 50 miles of sensible motoring still left.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for you input and personal experiences.

After driving straight home a few weeks ago on a 750-mile trip, during the night through rural areas, I have to admit, I was nervous after my fuel light came on. It’s comforting to know I still have at the least a good hour of sensible highway driving.

Again, Thanks to you all.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:58 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

In my car, the fuel light comes on quite consistently when there is about 9 liters left, which means I can drive 180 km more. Last time I stretched it 140 km, and then filled 46.37 liters. My manual says the tank holds up to 50 liters, not 47.

Quick Reply: Warning Light – Gas Low

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands