What does the battery power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it is interesting that the hybrid battery is used to start the car. But, which other systems in the car does it power? Once, I left a dome light on for a few days and it drained my hybrid battery.

Does it power the stereo too?

If you leave your lights on, does the battery last longer than a normal one? Guess I could test it....

Old 12-21-2004, 09:29 AM

Did it also drain your regular battery? I was watching my voltage gauge (aftermarket) with the car sitting there turned off. I noticed the voltage dropped to about 12V or so and then all of a sudden jumped up to 12.6 or so. I'm wondering if the battery pack is infact feeding power to the battery (kind of acting like an alternator) when the battery goes below a certain voltage.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good question, I second the desire to know the answer. I bet it's out there on the Web. I will start looking.

Another similar and related question:

If you have to replace the OEM 12V car battery (and I will have to here in Phoenix - the heat kills batteries in 24-36 months almost without fail) and you were to buy a battery with a higher "cranking amps" rating, does that affect the performance at all of the Hybrid battery system by now being able to take on more of the load?

Just how related ARE the hybrid and the car battery?

Old 12-21-2004, 09:34 AM

lar-ss. I replaced my battery with this one. http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=24 I had to remove the plastic tray it sits in as well as the plastic cover but I got it to fit. Anyway, I've not seen any obvious problems.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:40 AM

Found an interesting page on battery usage in Hybrids:
The Conventional Car’s Battery: The Key to Starting Up
The lead acid battery in a conventional car contains enough energy to drive a small electric motor. It is “gear reduced” to generate enough torque to turn over a car engine at about 300 RPMs to start the engine. A burst of energy is needed for a short period of time to do this.

During the winter when the oil is thick and parts are tight, it requires a lot of current from the battery to turn over the engine. Some engines require as much as 600 amps of current to turn over the engine. That’s why when buying a car battery one is concerned with the "cold cranking current rating." These batteries are designed to deliver a burst of current for a short period of time. Otherwise, the battery is only needed to support accessories such as the radio, lighting, security system, power windows, power locks, and entertainment systems while the engine is not running.

When the engine is running, the alternator supports all the required electrical demands of the vehicle. It also charges the battery back to its full potential so it will be ready to turn over the engine for your next start-up.

The automotive battery is designed to always be ready, willing, and fully charged—to discharge a lot of energy for starting the engine. Running this type of battery until it’s fully discharged would quickly kill the battery’s ability to store energy in the future.

The Rechargeable Hybrid Car Battery
A hybrid car uses a conventional lead acid battery for all the same reasons that a conventional car uses one. But a hybrid car also has a rechargeable battery, which is constructed quite differently. It is what is called a deep cycle battery. The internal construction of the battery will allow it to be fully discharged and recharged over and over again. It is very similar to a battery used in electric vehicles such as GM’s EV1 or a golf cart or new-fangled electric personal scooters. The difference is that electric vehicles need a lot of stored energy since the stored electrical energy is the only fuel the vehicle has to make it move down the road.

These batteries are very large and heavy. For an example the battery pack in the Electric Ranger battery build by Ford in the late 1990s was 1600 pounds. These batteries carried a serious amount of energy. Most of these battery packs are a series of smaller batteries connected together in a series array that adds up to a higher voltage.

The hybrid car uses a mixture of today’s gasoline engine and the battery found in electric vehicles (EV), which never found acceptance in the passenger car market. The hybrid battery has evolved a generation or two since the EV days. Today Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) is being used for hybrid batteries instead of lead acid to reduce the weight and deliver more energy from a smaller package. Because a hybrid also uses a gas engine, the size of the battery is not as large as a pure electric vehicle EV battery. On vehicles such as the Honda Civic and Insight, and the Toyota Prius, the hybrid battery voltages are 300 volts or greater. Where the starter battery in a typical car was measured by cranking amps, hybrid batteries are measured by kilowatt-amp-hours.
Here is the page:

http://www.hybridcars.com/battery-comparison.html

Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by tbaleno@Dec 21st 2004 @ 12:34 PM
lar-ss. I replaced my battery with this one. http://www.svrbatteries.com/battery_page.php?bid=24 I had to remove the plastic tray it sits in as well as the plastic cover but I got it to fit. Anyway, I've not seen any obvious problems.
WHEW :o MSRP is $266.00 !!! That's up there.....I've never paid more than $129 for any car battery.....I'm sure it will do the job...

Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by tbaleno@Dec 21st 2004 @ 12:29 PM
Did it also drain your regular battery? I was watching my voltage gauge (aftermarket) with the car sitting there turned off. I noticed the voltage dropped to about 12V or so and then all of a sudden jumped up to 12.6 or so. I'm wondering if the battery pack is infact feeding power to the battery (kind of acting like an alternator) when the battery goes below a certain voltage.
Yes, it also drained my regular battery.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:36 PM

So, who is going to test out my theory about the hybrid battery charging the starter battery? If it is in fact doing that I would prefer it if you could make the regular battery drain normaly and isolate the hybrid batter so that it only supplies current to the starter battery when the car is in the on position. That way I could run my radio with the key in accessory until the battery died and then click to on or start my engine (using the hybrid battery) and recharge my starter battery.

kind of like giving your starter a jumpstart from the hybrid.

Did that make sense?