Whats up with econ and climate control

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Default Whats up with econ and climate control

I was driving along and this other hch pulled along side. I saw the auto-stop light blinking on the car, Yet my car wasn't auto-stoping.

It turns out that if I turn off the climate control the car would auto-stop but when I turned everything to auto it wouldn't. The econo button was green, And I know auto-stop works with econ on when its warmer (we had a warm stint one day and things worked normaly).

Is this a known issue? Perhaps a tip that should be pointed out? I don't remember reading this anywhere.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:00 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

tbaleno-
al you probably already know, it all has to do with temperature. inside, outside, & engine. you and I are both in (currently cold) climates and I know that my auto stop operates alot more often when I have the fan/heat off than when I have it on even in econo. I think the engine is so effecient and little, that when you have the heat blasting it actually cools the engine enough that autostop won't kick in. I'll usually turn the heat/fan on to warm the car when I know I won't be stopping for a while, then turn the fan way down, or off if I get to a traffic section or lights.
I've had auto stop work when it's in the 20s out (even though the manual says it won't) if the heat is off (inside had already been warmed some during a highway run and car was up to temp). we also had 1 (and only one) warm day a couple weeks ago (50's) and the car was autostopping all over the place, and it was barely warmed up.

so back to your scenario - I think the other hch was warmed up, and yours wasn't quite ready. I think when it warms up a little more in chicago it will auto stop whether it's on (manual) fan or auto fan.

just my 2 cents from the whole 2 months I've been driving mine
and reading posts here and all over.

here's to it warming up soon. had to drive around in slush yesterday & today and watch my mpg go down

Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 PM

Yeah I think you are right about the engine temp.

I hadn't thought about me stealing heat from the engine to warm myself. Its so obvious. Looks like I know how to steal a few more MPG in colder weather now. No more waiting for 40F.