wimpy horn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default wimpy horn?

Just wondering if anyone else with an 05 HCH or other years has a problem with the horn? Mine sounds like it has laryngitis. I'm embarased when the need arises to toot....

Anyway, I've found a replacement 12v pair of tooters that is rated at 130dB that should fit but I need to double check under the hood. Cost is only 26.49 US.

Anyone else replaced the horns yet? I think a little car like the civic needs a big voice to let it be recognised.

Thanks.

Ralph

Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: wimpy horn?

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Just wondering if anyone else with an 05 HCH or other years has a problem with the horn? Mine sounds like it has laryngitis. I'm embarased when the need arises to toot....

Anyway, I've found a replacement 12v pair of tooters that is rated at 130dB that should fit but I need to double check under the hood. Cost is only 26.49 US.

Anyone else replaced the horns yet? I think a little car like the civic needs a big voice to let it be recognised.

Thanks.

Ralph
'
I am extremely embarased at the horn on the '06 HCH as well. I hate to ever use it. It sounds like a weak toot. Its one of a few unimportant disapointments I have with the car.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Insomniac

Ralph, I just bought a HCH last night and also laughed the first time I tried out the horn! I thought, who would get out of the way for this little noise?!

Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've been tempted to visit a junk yard and get the horns off an older American vehicle and replace the winpy Honda ones.
If I ever did that, I'd also get a horn relay to handle the extra current.

Oh! How I'd love to get the horn from a train!

Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 PM
YA RLY.

This is what you need

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

115dB at 6 feet

Old 12-30-2005, 05:13 PM

The horn is weak on my 06 ex sedan also. Wife honked at me in her Accord and she laughed when I tooted back. I hope to have the horn upgraded this weekend. Local parts store should have soething worthy of 4 wheels.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

How about an old Road Runner?

For the most part it sounds like a regular Asian car horn to me. I do however like the old Ooooaaahhhhhgggaaaaa horns. I used to have one on my 71' Pinto (don't make fun, it had a 302 V-8 with the original gas tank)

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I've been tempted to visit a junk yard and get the horns off an older American vehicle and replace the winpy Honda ones.
If I ever did that, I'd also get a horn relay to handle the extra current.

Oh! How I'd love to get the horn from a train!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sledge
This is what you need

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

115dB at 6 feet
Wow, I want that. How do you install a new horn?

Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Installing a new horn is fairly simple. You can have the option of completely replacing the stock horn or keeping it and adding a new one to the system. I replaced a horn on a friends Doge Dakota that sounded wimpy. I mounted an air horn under the truck bed and kept the stock horn, both wired to the stock horn button on the steering wheel. It was loud as as hell. I would suggest on the HCH however to just replace the stock horn. Very simple, unbolt the stock horn, usually on either fender under the hood. I haven't looked yet on my HCH but I'll look tomorrow. Disconect the two or three wires comming from it. The horn from Griot's garage looks like it would be bigger than the stock horn so you needto make sure that it fits in the same place and check for hood clearance. Once again I am writing this before I have looked on the HCH. The new horn comes with a realy that must replace the old relay. Follow the wires you disconeccted from the horn up until you find a square box with either two or three clips on the bottom to connect the wires. Disconnect the wires from the old realy. Install the wires to the new realy the same way. Mount the horn to the fender using the supplied bolts. You may have to drill new holes to mount the new horn on to the fender. It seems I lot hard than it actually is to install. I will try to post better directions tomorrow after looking at the actual horn.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
BTW, I've found a WAV file of what that horn sounds like. I've attached it in a Zip file. I found the sound clip at a Honda S2000 forum.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Ext_hood_up_near-door.zip (21.3 KB, 97 views)

Quick Reply: wimpy horn?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands