Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

MPG gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to install a MPG gauge in a non-hybrid car that does not come with one from the factory? What does the MPG gauge hook up to and how does it do its calculations and how precise are they?

It would be great to have an instant feed back on how good my driving is. Especialy since I only drive about 80 miles a week - so I have to wait up to 1.5 months to get MPG data from the gas station.

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

I guess that I could get something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores...=-1&TID=8014524

But I doubt it really measures the MPGs - more likely it measures the fluel flow. Too bad they dont give more info on the site.

I was hoping for something that would hook up to the computer and constantly calculate like in the hybrids and cars that come with these things pre-installed.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Contributor ($)

There was mention of such a thing in a post here before.

It was in a discussion about
Non hybrids missing EPA estimates too
Specifically look at xcel's Jun 10th 2004 @ 3:09 PM post.

In that thread xcel posted a link to a company called Drive Systems that is in Norway.
Here's the link: driveright

They make a gauge called the Econen that has many of the features you would need to improve mileage if your car did not come factory equipped with a gauge.

From the website:
Safety Score provides instant evaluation of driver's performance and coaches driver to improve safety. Lower risks for work-related accidents by improving driver awareness and safety. Safe limits set by the company can be consistently applied throughout the fleet.
Drive Costs Down
When a driver is more aware of his tendencies and surroundings, savings follow. Alert drivers reduce wear and tear through safer braking patterns and conservative actions. No employee time spent on data entry or mileage report. Promote fuel-efficient driving by discouraging speeding and rapid acceleration.
Interesting to read about.

I started to search around a bit to see if you could get it in the US but lost interest. I know there are gauges that let you track speed, and miles driven etc to sort of "spy" on someone who uses your car. (ie checking up on your teenager.) But these guages don't have the instantaneous read out like the Econen.

If you find it's available for US cars post more about it here.