GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Topics > Fuel Economy & Emissions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
Sponsored by Optima Batteries
Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (II)
Default Temperature and Fuel Economy

Lest anyone still doubt the affect cold temperatures have on mileage....

I was going back through some mileage data from my morning commute. Here is a snapshot of some of my best and worst.

All trips were 10.3 miles over the same route at the same time using the same driving techniques on my morning commute. The primary difference was temperature, and of course summer blended fuel vs. winter.

1st set: Mid July, average temperature for 5 trips = 72 deg. F. Average mpg = 72.2.

2nd set: Mid January, average temperature for 5 trips = 14.2 deg. F. Average mpg = 45.8.

Spring, we await thee....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: my temperature hit

I have a best tank of 33.5mpg in August and worst tank of 25.1 in January.

On my 9.6 mile daily commute I'm typically 35-36 at best summer and 23-24 at worst winter conditions.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: Honda Civic Hybrid 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast64 View Post
Lest anyone still doubt the affect cold temperatures have on mileage....

I was going back through some mileage data from my morning commute. Here is a snapshot of some of my best and worst.

All trips were 10.3 miles over the same route at the same time using the same driving techniques on my morning commute. The primary difference was temperature, and of course summer blended fuel vs. winter.

1st set: Mid July, average temperature for 5 trips = 72 deg. F. Average mpg = 72.2.

2nd set: Mid January, average temperature for 5 trips = 14.2 deg. F. Average mpg = 45.8.

Spring, we await thee....

Darn, that's a stark set of numbers you have there. Hard to believe it's temperature alone- you had to be running the heat and defrost, for instance, in winter. Higher winds, too, maybe? But yeah, I'm with you on the 'wishing-for-spring' idea.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Hybrids: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (II)

Leah,
Yes, you are right that one variable I chose not to control was the heater fan. I don't own enough warm clothes to do that. But never the defroster. "A/C OFF" is displayed whenever possible! If I needed to use the defrost, I would have discounted that data. Luckily I have a garage, so I seldom need defrost. And my data is only for my trip to work - when the car has been in the garage all night and isn't frosted over. I did not include any data in my trip home because traffic and conditions are just too variable, and I can't use the heater at work anyway. You are correct, there are other variables that are difficult to control, like potentially more wind in the winter months. I tried to control the lack of autostop in the colder months by doing a FAS at stoplights whenever practical.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 FEH 2wd

Has anyone with access to the database made a plot of fuel economy vs. self-reported temperature for individual vehicle models?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Engineering first

Hybrids: Prius Classic 03
Wink Re: my temperature hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown View Post
Has anyone with access to the database made a plot of fuel economy vs. self-reported temperature for individual vehicle models?
Usually we do such charts for our own performance or our own model vehicles. The steps are fairly simple:
  1. Identify vehicles in model that have significant numbers of samples
  2. Cut-and-paste multiple vehicle data into a spreadsheet
  3. Calculate averages for every 10(F) range and plot
This would be an excellent 'second posting' and introduction to GH.

I'm testing some modifications to improve my cold weather performance so I've made this chart:
Click the image to open in full size.

Bob Wilson

After April 3, use e-mail to contact me:

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-11-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Prius 2006

I commute in a Prius II 1 hour each way (Baltimore-DC), mostly highway (~70 mph), so warmup time has less impact on my overall mileage numbers. Given that, I've been seening an 8-10% drop in fuel economy when the outside temperature drops from 30 F to 15 F. Yikes! Total drop is about 20% vs. 70 F. That's with the heater set at 65-66 F, no defroster.

I keep thinking about trying the cardboard in front of the radiator idea, but I assume that if it had a significant impact then Toyota would have engineered something into the car. But maybe its still worth trying....

-Terence
Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Prius, 2007 Camry

Alas, my Prius II, Touring Edition seems to suffer the same winter blues as the others posting here. I, however, do not have any summer weather for comparative purposes. Let me point out that here we have a winter blened fuel that contains Ethanol (!) and other additives. If you have been following the news on ethanol laced/based fuels, you know that ethanol cuts a car's MPG by about 15%. As ours is a winter, only, blend, I surmise that it contributes to the lower mileage along with the chilling effect of cold weather.

Now, add to the above the physics part ... when things such as gasoline get cold they contract. Thus one gallon of gas at 55 degrees (in ground, storage tank temperature) will be less than one gallon when chilled to 32 degrees or so. This too helps damper gas mileage.

I am sure there are other factors, but these two things have not been cited on this thread heretofore.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 PM

Hybrids: 2006 Civic Hybrid

I noticed a large difference from Summer to Winter also. In the winter I use very little heat and in the summer I did not turn on the A/C until I was on the highway (about 1 mile) because it seemed to drain the battery.

I noticed a much smaller difference from Summer to Winter in my HCHI then my HCHII. That being said, in the summer I get much better mileage in the HCHII then I did in the HCHI.

I drive 25 miles on the highway and park in a garage in the evening.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hybrids: 2006 Ford Escape 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown View Post

No, but my data over at CleanMPG does that for me already. It may be a bit hard to understand at first, but it's neat to see once you get used to it.

Click the image to open in full size.

First 4WD Hypermiler

Have you read the FEH FAQ?

Live in Michigan? Let it be known in Michigan Roll Call

Read My Automotive Blog at Rich Rambles

Read My Auto Reviews at The Detroit Examiner
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM

Tags
affect, average, car, civic, economy, fuel, fueleconomy, ggoede1, graph, horsepower, hybrid, mpg, relationship, reported, temp, temperature