Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

biodiesel for hybrid diesel electric pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up biodiesel for hybrid diesel electric pickup

Greetings fellow road warriors, found Jason's business card at recent LOHAS conf. in Los Angeles. I was hoping that I could learn more about hybrid pickup trucks. I work for a solar electric contractor and need a fuel efficient truck. The most intriguing vechicle I could think of would be diesel electric hybrid that could be run on bioDiesel. Also wondering if their are hobbyists and tinkerers modifying hybrid vechicles (pimp my hybrid?) that have converted a hybrid passenger to a pickup. Looking forward to learning more about hybrids. I am driving a 16yo Toyota p/u that I would love to replace.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: biodiesel for hybrid diesel electric pickup

Haha. Well, there was only one of us at the conference. That would be Mike Maline, one of our moderators. I sent him some cards to hand out at the event. When you say "found..." lol

Today's hybrid pickup trucks are not actually hybrids. American manufacturers have been putting the "hybrid" label on their pickups because of their hype, but the vehicles qualify as neither mild hybrids or full hybrids. This means the electrical system is incapable of propelling the vehicle. It simply allows the engine to shut down when the car is stopped for very small fuel economy savings. I think their main reason for implementing this is for the additional electrical system capabilities (generators, etc).

Haven't heard of any such modified vehicles. Welcome to GreenHybrid!

Old 04-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: biodiesel for hybrid diesel electric pickup

Personally, I consider today's lineup of "hybrid pickups" with ther generators for AC outlets similar to a 1968 Pontiac Ambulance a friend had many, many years ago.

It had a very large alternator that fed AC outlets in the back.