2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this site, I know that there have been other threads about the actual trailer hitch and they were very helpful in my decision to buy the Ford Escape hitch which worked very well and was very easy to install.

Now to the meat of this thread, I bought the OEM Ford trailer hitch wiring harness for the 2005 Escape and was flabergasted when I opened it up. It is not a T style hook up that just plugs into the the existing wiring harness like the other trailer hitch wiring harnesses I had seen online. The Ford harness requires you to cut and splice into the existing harness.......to say the least I am not at all happy about this.

What I want to know is what have the other Escape Hybrid owners who have installed hitches have used for the wiring harness.....the Ford harness????......aftermarket T style plug harness??????.....something else????

I talked to a U-Haul dealership and they said they would put on a T plug type harness, this seems much easier, less risky and cheaper too do. Has anyone else gone this route? Also if someone has installed the Ford harness was the dealership willing too install it since it is technically not meant for the Hybrid?????

Anyway, thanks for any help or advice that you can provide.

Daryl

Old 09-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Ford has nothing for trailer wiring for the Escape Hybrid. They have a universal powered converter they bought from someone else that they slap a Ford label and a big markup on then sell it to you. You can get a Reese or other major brand powered converter that will do the same job. Last I checked nobody has a "T" connector that fits the 2005 models as Ford changed the connector on the light assemblies.

Conventional Escapes sold with the factory tow package have dedicated trailer wiring that comes direct from the "Smart Junction Box" (a major electrical junction located in the floor console, it's the backside of the fuse panel) which handles the 3 to 2-wire conversion and provides a powered signal for your trailer. The FEH does not have this ability (there are not even contacts for the fuse in the fuse box) so an external converter is the only way. Given the very light gauge wiring used to the tail lights a powered converter is a must.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, the local U-Haul guy here says that he will order the T-type connector and it should be in on Tuesday...........we will see if he can actually get one. If one does come in I will give it a shot and see if it works. I only plan to tow a very small trailer that only has 2 tail lights for brakes and turn signal so the extra load should be negligable.
If he is not able to get the T-type connector or it doesn't work then I will just use the Ford wiring harness (for the regular Escape) that I already have. Thanks again for your help and I will keep everyone updated on what happens.

Daryl

Last edited by HoslerD; 09-18-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

stevewa is right, you NEED a light controller, the light kit for the standard Escape will not fit the FEH. If the T-connector that U-Haul is trying to sell you just ties into the existing lines but does not have a controller that powers the trailer lights from a direct 12 volt connection to the battery, you could damage the wiring and/or BCM (Body control module) in your FEH.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Mppkll,

First off I want to say Right ON!!!!! to your Sonic Blue FEH....that is what I have too (Sonic Blue, Safety Package, 4WD).

I have the seperate wiring harness that is listed for the regular Ford Escape that has a seperate power line that comes from the 12v battery and a signal booster/circuit breaker box so that should work fine. I looked at the other aftermarket harnesses that have the same feature and they look the same, the one I have just says Ford on it and I paid almost 2x as much for it I will go talk to the U-Haul guy again today and see what he says, I will keep everyone up to date on the outcome.

Thanks,
Daryl

Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoslerD
Now to the meat of this thread, I bought the OEM Ford trailer hitch wiring harness for the 2005 Escape and was flabergasted when I opened it up.
Did you buy P/N 5L8Z15A416AA, which goes for around $90, or did you buy P/N 5L8Z14A411AB, which goes for around $30?

I am also surprised that the same harnesses are used for both the FE and the MM. The FE has separate brake (red) and directionals (yellow), whereas the MM has a combination brake/directional tail lamps (all red). That should mean, the wiring in the back for the tail lamps is different between the FE and MM, no?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Having seen the instructions (but not having the guts to try) the instructions for the MMH and FEH are different. You are right the wiring is different in the vehicles and the converter box handles that by hooking different wires in and grounding other ones.

I actually have a copy of the instructions for the Ford box (note I have no idea how well it works with a hybrid) and could post them.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I actually have a copy of the instructions for the Ford box (note I have no idea how well it works with a hybrid) and could post them.
Yes, please do!

I would guess that the instructions for the hybrids, would be very similar to those of the regular FE/MM with the Message Center. All need to be re-powered (via a "converter") in order to not interfere with the burnt-out-bulb sensors used by the Message Center.

Last edited by WaltPA; 10-02-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Did you buy P/N 5L8Z15A416AA, which goes for around $90, or did you buy P/N 5L8Z14A411AB, which goes for around $30?

I am also surprised that the same harnesses are used for both the FE and the MM. The FE has separate brake (red) and directionals (yellow), whereas the MM has a combination brake/directional tail lamps (all red). That should mean, the wiring in the back for the tail lamps is different between the FE and MM, no?
Walt, the 5L8Z-14A411-AB is only a service part for the 5L8Z-15A416-AA kit. By itself it will be of no use.

The 5L8Z-15A416-AA kit can be used for either an Escape or a Mariner. There's an additional ground wire that you either leave unattached for one of them but ground it for the other (I forget which is which) to accomodate the different lighting strategies.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thegreatescape
Walt, the 5L8Z-14A411-AB is only a service part for the 5L8Z-15A416-AA kit. By itself it will be of no use.

The 5L8Z-15A416-AA kit can be used for either an Escape or a Mariner. There's an additional ground wire that you either leave unattached for one of them but ground it for the other (I forget which is which) to accomodate the different lighting strategies.
Yeah.... thats something like I remember from looking at the instructions. There is a power line that has to be fished all the way back to the battery as well and a converter box.

I'll post sometime tonight. The instructions are home and I'll have to scan them into a .pdf or something.

Quick Reply: 2005 Escape HEV trailer hitch wiring harness

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands