2005 Hybrid Escape (demo) 100k - what to look for when buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Hybrid Escape (demo) 100k - what to look for when buying

Hi you hybriders

I've just moved to Vistoria BC from Denmark for a 2 year period. Need a good reliable 4wd suv with a good fuel economy. Got my mind set on the escape hybrid. As I am not a millionaire and will sell the car in two years - im looking for a low depreciation - thus im looking for used ones. Not many used escape hybrids out there - but I found one who looks interesting .
It was originally a demo model purchased in US and imported to Canada.
2005 4wd 100K's on it. Not sure about the trim - but it has sun roof and all power. Asking price is 22000 CAD - I'm going to see it tommorow.

Questions are

1) The 2005 was as far as im informed - the first escape hybrid years - have you experienced many children diseases with the earlier models?
(I know the escape has been her somewhat longer than 2005 but not the hybrid)

2) What to look for in genereal with a soon to be 5 year old escape hybrid with a 100k on it

3) your comment to the asking price - after searching the various buy/sell sites I dont think its to bad - if its loaded - but around 18-20 seems more fair - but they are in high demand.

4) any other things I should look for.

Hopefully I'll get some good answers to this one - hope to become a Hybrider myself the coming week.

Karsten

Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Hybrid Escape (demo) 100k - what to look for when buying

100 K kilometers or miles?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The 100K stated in your post refers to 62,000 US miles.

I understand it as the 2005 Escape Hybrid DID NOT have a sun/moon roof option. The non-hybrid Escape did have a sun/moon roof option. The 2006 Escape Hybrid did have a sun/moon roof option. Recheck the year of this vehicle.

Do not purchase the vehicle unless it has had the September 2007 Hybrid battery recall work done. Check the Carfax report and if this is at a Ford Dealership demand a copy of this service work done.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

The price that you mentioned seems to be a lot higher than US prices, even if in Canadian $. I bought my 2006 in February of this year for $15,500 USD. It had 57,000 miles, perfect condition, all options except the sunroof. I drove another 2006, red, with 55,000 miles, a sunroof and all other options, good condition (except for a squeak in the rear with I believe was a bad shock)--asking price of $17,500 USD. Another one I test drove was a 2005, excellent condition except for a scratch on one door, all options except sunroof, 47,000 miles for asking $14,500 USD. All of these were from Ford dealerships. Hybrids were hard to find and usually sold within a couple of weeks.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Thanks for the answers - Ford Escape hybrid 2005 buy

Hi again

First of all - thank you for the answers! Immense.
I saw the vehicle today - and I found out that the vehicle actually only had around 50K kilometers on the odometer and no sun roof. My mistake entirely - as the ad was very sparse on the info - and i had several talks with several options - I mixed it up - sry.

The overall impression was a car i really good condition - no rust (no rust on Victoria Cars in general i noticed - no salt used on roads) - no misnoises - nice driving - clean and neat inside matched the odometer. Clean oil - no sign of accidents - every feature inside worked. Only thing was the Tires which are almost overdue - and he didnt switch the tires around - so it drifted slightly to the right when not touching the steering wheel. Also he didn't have any maintenance record at all. So a few warning signs of not maintaining the car - but all in all in very good condition for a car from 2005. And lastly - he seemed like a guy I wanted to buy my vehicle from - honest down to earth.

I dont know about the Hybrid battery 2007 recall - im gonna ask him about that.

Pricewise it did not seems like there was no chance of underbidding - but off course I can always give him an offer. The car has been on the list for at least a month - for a hybrid thats a lot. But as kshaw stated below - it may be in the top end pricewise - so if he dosn't give want to cut on the price I think I will dodge this one. Maybe importing one from Seattle Washington might be an option - gonna check it out.

KR Karsten - and thanks again