GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hybrids: 2006 Ford Escape 4WD
Default 40+ MPG Tank with 4WD FEH!

Hey all!

I'm pretty stoked right now, I filled up today because I found a station selling for under $3, and tomorrow I'm having an NPR person come by to interview me about my hybrid and hypermiling, but lo and behold, I did it, I ended up averaging 40.2 MPG over 513 Miles! My first 40 Plus tank, and my goal for the summer! Whoo!!!!

I wasn't excited all along, because my FCD was only showing 38.9, a high for me, but nothing that tremendous, but calculating it by hand, I found it was low. (This marks the fourth time it's been low, usually it's within .3)

Heh, double what most conventional AWD Escape owners ever see. Whoo!!!

Oh, for the record, I did that without Key FASing or Drafting, just driving smart and using the hybrid technology to its potential!

First 4WD Hypermiler

Have you read the FEH FAQ?

Live in Michigan? Let it be known in Michigan Roll Call

Read My Automotive Blog at Rich Rambles

Read My Auto Reviews at The Detroit Examiner
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Megageek

Hybrids: (2) 2006 Ford Escape 4WD
Default Re: 40+ MPG Tank with 4WD FEH!

Rich, very nice acheivement!

What was the breakdown on driving with that tank (how much city/highway/backroad)? My best with my AWD is 35MPG, that's with 70% highway, 20% backroads and 10% city. Also, my route is quite hilly at highway speeds so that takes a bit more off. I have a little over 30,000 on mine and I think I'm driving smart but I'm curious how your driving environment compares.

My 4WD (retired)
Wife's 4WD (retired)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hybrids: 2006 Ford Escape 4WD

Scott,

This tank was about 80% City, 10% "Backroads" (Dirt/seldom used subdivision), 10% Expressway. Yeah, it's a lot of city driving on this tank, normally there's more highway driving, but that's not how things worked out this tank.

Today I did the NPR interview, which the drive was a 41 mile round trip, 50% Expressway, 50% City which I averaged 40.4 with the NPR guy interviewing me as we went along.

First 4WD Hypermiler

Have you read the FEH FAQ?

Live in Michigan? Let it be known in Michigan Roll Call

Read My Automotive Blog at Rich Rambles

Read My Auto Reviews at The Detroit Examiner
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 06 Loaded Escape Hybrid 4WD

I have never gotten much over 30 mpg with my 06 4WD FEH, but I'm not real fanatical about it either. I did get 42 mpg for a 1/2 tank once just to see if I could do it, but after that I went back to more normal driving techniques.

I was driving a minivan that got 16 mpg before (& I HATED the thing), so to be able to get anywhere near 30 mpg in a 4WD SUV (that I absolutely love) is just fine by me......

~John
Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Hybrids: 06 Loaded Escape Hybrid 4WD

As an amusing aside, I was recently driving an H2 Hummer that we took in trade at the car dealer I work at.

I was flipping through the trip computer screens & had to laugh when I got to the average mpg screen, it was reading 10.2 mpg.................

How would you like to drive that day in & day out???

~John
Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Escape Hybrid AWD

Nice work Rich! I also achieved a 40.2 tank for the first time today!!

My secret weapon is not something people would normally take joy in- traffic! My commute is mostly expressway, but I average around 25mph or so with the congestion. If the congestion is too heavy, the engine spins up for regen and I lose... if it's too light I drive fast and my mileage takes a hit. But if I have the right "roll and go" conditions I can do alright.

I was also treated to a new best MTE after filling up:
Click the image to open in full size.

Best trip: 48.9 mpg over 17.9 miles (scangauge)
Best tank: 40.7 mpg over 606 miles (calculated)
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Hybrids: 2006 Escape 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
As an amusing aside, I was recently driving an H2 Hummer that we took in trade at the car dealer I work at.

I was flipping through the trip computer screens & had to laugh when I got to the average mpg screen, it was reading 10.2 mpg.................

~John
Hmmmm.... must've had a hypermiler at the wheel before you.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Hybrids: 2005 Ford Escape FWD, 2000 Honda Insight

No no..... that would have been a hypomiler.
-John
Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM
4WD SUV Golf Cart Owner

Hybrids: FEH AWD '05

Kewl! I was going to post that I had my first 500mile plus tank. I had one going again this week because I had jury duty (mostly city driving) but I ran late a couple times.

For an AWD, that's pretty darn good! It took awhile (34K + miles)

Happy 4WD SUV Golf Cart Owner

Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: FEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post

~John

Actually......that's about norm for my F-250, and I drove it every day for a few years. On one hand, I don't drive much, so the truth is.....the savings in dollars don't matter so much. It was the economics of keeping one vehicle instead of trying to maintain two. But I knew why I had to have an F-250.....I've never quite figured out why someone would have to have an H-2. At $3 a gallon, plenty of people will still buy one just because they want it.

Perhaps tax it to $5 a gallon, and use the money for alternatives...???
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 AM

Tags
30, 40mpg, 4wd, awd, awd4wd, cars, cart, drive, golf, high, hybrid, mgp, mpg, top, wheel