Bad PTU-Am I the first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad PTU-Am I the first?

Originally Posted by wptski
That's what I first thought when seeing SG-II pictures showing 47.6% rear wheel torque under good driving conditions. My testing in the link I provided aboved proved otherwise.

I'm not sure why Ford even refers to it as a "on demand" system when torque is so easily sent to the rear wheels!

That one sentence from a '09 shop manual about the 4WD system says it all: Under normal driving conditions "most" of the torque is sent to the front wheels.
I agree, unless your're ALWAYS driving PERFECTLY STRAIGHT then 47.6% or even 30% engine torque, to the rear driveline simultaneously with firmly, SOLIDLY, driving the front would result in a driveline failure within 500 miles or less of accummuated driving on a highly tractive roadbed.

Engine torque coupling to the rear driveline in that circumstance CANNOT exceed 5%, or even that much, without quickly destroying the drivetrain. Even if you were able to drive in a perfectly straight line the variations in circumference of the tires would result in premature failure of some part of the driveline.

Coupling that much engine torque to the rear driveline under WOT conditions or even moderately hard acceleration might be acceptable (you can't "accelerate" forever) but in straight line driving, cruising, NO WAY.....and...NO NEED.

ABSOLUTELY NO NEED...!!

Engine torque

Last edited by wwest; 10-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jbrockell
I have a 2007 and have the same symptoms a low speed 0-5 mph. It is like a "surging". Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a faulty transmission and replaced the eCVT. That did not solve the problem completely and now they are waiting for a PTU. Fortunately their doing it under warranty and gave me a loaner for the 2 weeks they had the car to replace the eCVT. Told me that it was safe to drive until they receive a PTU.

Problem is that there had been issues with leaking seals in the PTU and initially they were replacing entire PTU units, until they realized that they only needed to service the seals.

Or maybe the seals were a symptom, not directly the problem. An overheating, SERIOUSLY overheating, PTU/PTO might cause the gear oil to expand in volume enough to blow the seals. Might even BOIL the gear oil from the looks and odor of a Chrysler PTO/PTU that failed for the very same reason.

"...Only needed to service the seals.."

Once the realization came that the real problem was overheating of the PTO due to the rear driveline clutch being FULLY engaged to allow it to cool.

That has resulted in no PTU units being immediately available. It has been a week but I think it will probably take a month for the dealer to get a unit (I hope not longer).

There hardest stress I put on it is when I accelerate onto a highway, otherwise I am pretty good with it. Could this stress out the PTU?
"...Could this stress out the PTU?.."

No, but putting the rear driveline clutch into the fully engaged mode to prevent it from being further overheated and thereby "deflecting" the driveline stress to the PTU would.

My guess would be that the PTU seals are now being replaced along with F/awd firmware revisions, relaxing the rear drive functionality, at the same time.

"..resulted in no PTU units being immediately available..."

To quote Saran Palin..."you betcha"...!!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

I am sad to report you are not the only. I had my 07 Mariner Hybrid hauled away to the dealership on a flatbed today. They just called - bad PTU.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Were I the (not so proud) owner of an Escape or mariner F/awd I would pull the fuse to the rear drive coupling except when I truly needed the drive, additional traction, from the rear.

Or else find some way to water cool the PTO/PTU as has done Mazda.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
Were I the (not so proud) owner of an Escape or mariner F/awd I would pull the fuse to the rear drive coupling except when I truly needed the drive, additional traction, from the rear.

Or else find some way to water cool the PTO/PTU as has done Mazda.
That would stop the rear from engaging but the PTU still turns the driveshaft anyway.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM

That would stop the rear from engaging but the PTU still turns the driveshaft anyway.
But with no torque "back" resistance, no drive torque transferred to the rear, little or no heating of the PTO's "free-wheeling" ring & pinion would result.

Plus which the PTO failures are more likely the result of inadvertent driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing when the rear drive is engaged on a highly tractive surface, especially when turning.

Ford..IDIOTS...!!

Ford.."EcoBoost"/TwinForce/Gas-Guzzlers...IDIOTS...!!

Last edited by wwest; 05-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

But with no torque "back" resistance, no drive torque transferred to the rear, little or no heating of the PTO's "free-wheeling" ring & pinion would result.

Plus which the PTO failures are more likely the result of inadvertent driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing when the rear drive is engaged on a highly tractive surface, especially when turning.

Ford..IDIOTS...!!

Ford.."EcoBoost"/TwinForce/Gas-Guzzlers...IDIOTS...!!
Whoops! Bad statement!

What I should have was: That would not stop the PTU from being powered and/or the driveshaft from rotating.

Everytime one makes a turn which is generally at lower speeds, torque is sent to the rear wheels but since it's less than 50% there isn't a problem other than less MPG. If there were PTU problems, they were in the past.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Whoops! Bad statement!

What I should have was: That would not stop the PTU from being powered and/or the driveshaft from rotating.

Everytime one makes a turn which is generally at lower speeds, torque is sent to the rear wheels but since it's less than 50% there isn't a problem other than less MPG. If there were PTU problems, they were in the past.
The AWD system engages every time you pull out from a stop, in all weather conditions, as well as if there is slippage of the front wheels. It doesn't require a turn.

You can program the SG II to see the AWD engage.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The AWD system engages every time you pull out from a stop, in all weather conditions, as well as if there is slippage of the front wheels. It doesn't require a turn.

You can program the SG II to see the AWD engage.
Yes, as I understand it you get a relatively HIGH level of torque coupling to the rear with straight-line acceleration but a somewhat (substantially..??) lower torque coupling level in an accelerating turn. The tighter the turn and/or the higher the acceleration rate the lower the rear drive coupling coefficient should (will..?) be.

On a tractive surface unless the front and rear tires have close to equal wear and are equally inflated you will ALWAYS have some minor level of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing with all four wheels being driven. Even worse when turning. Anytime you incur driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing the PTO will be under stress.

So this F/awd system is much more about improving the safety of what would otherwise be a PATENTLY unsafe vehicle vs adding wintertime adverse roadbed traction capability.

In point of fact if the TC/VSC should detect front wheelspin/slip the system literally goes into "limp home" mode temporarily. FULL dethrottling, drive crippling mode. Disable TC to get around this design flaw and you're left, in the WORSE of conditions, with a simple, HAZARDOUS FWD vehicle

Last edited by wwest; 05-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Imported from Detroit

Yes, as I understand it you get a relatively HIGH level of torque coupling to the rear with straight-line acceleration but a somewhat (substantially..??) lower torque coupling level in an accelerating turn. The tighter the turn and/or the higher the acceleration rate the lower the rear drive coupling coefficient should (will..?) be.
I monitor rear wheel torque with a SG-II on my 4WD '09 FE, not AWD as Ford doesn't have even near a AWD system. Closer would be calling it A4WD. It seems if you have TC which the FEH didn't have till '09, Ford thinks they can refer to it as AWD!

Anyway, driving straight, from a dead stop, pedal to the floor, I've never seen more than around 35% which can also be seen on turns too.

Quick Reply: Bad PTU-Am I the first?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands