Blend Door Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Blend Door Actuators

What a pain the neck. I just bought a 2009 Escape Hybrid and one of the first things I noticed was this sound coming from behind the radio and heater controls, sounded like a pot of coffee percolating, after doing some research on these forums found out it was the Blend Door Actuator. Now there are 2 of these darn things, one is easy to change from under the dash and the other is a nightmare and a half! So I bought one at the dealership and replaced the lower one, thought I nailed it but then started hearing the noise again so I knew I had to change out the other, Grrrrr, but was able to get it done and no more coffee brewing behind my dash! If anyone needs any help or guidance in changing these shoot me a message, I'll be glad to help.

PS. Shame on your Ford for making such a crappy part, these things seem to go out all the time, even the one in the rear for the battery cooling. Just glad I am handy and can tackle these projects myself for only the cost of the parts!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blend Door Actuators

Steve,

Mine have been done once at the dealer and are making noise again. Were the newer ones of a better design?

I would like some help doing this myself as I am out of warranty.

Can you provide the part number for both units?

Can you send a picture of each one in it's original location?

Any tips, tricks, or instructions you can post would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Sean

Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Sean, I'll shoot you a PM

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine is doing it as well and my warranty will be up in about 20,000 km so I better get on it. On a related (I think) note, anyone notice a knocking sound coming from the battery pack after running in EV for a while? I notice it when I come to a stop but can't hear it when I am driving as the road noise drowns it out. I liken the sound to hearing someone hammering on a roof. First time I heard it I looked around to see if there was construction in the area. Possibly the blend door on the battery?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

I am planning on doing this also, and could use any pics or tips you may have. I have the service manuals, but am not sure how helpful they will be.
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hi guys,
I have a sound coming from behind the radio -sounds to me like an old 1990s CD-ROM drive booting up. It is a quiet sound and the vehicle is running just fine.
Should I be concerned? What do these blend doors do anyway? Control the heat/AC mix?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hey buzz, yes these actuators open and close doors in the duct work that directs the flow of air. From what you described it sounds like yours need replacement as well. I wouldn't say you need to be "concerned" it won't cause any damage but you may not get the heat or AC you desire and if the noise you hear isn't bothering you then you don't have to fix them if you don't want. The part itself is only about $30 each, so if only one is bad and you can change yourself for $30 I'd say do it. The lower one like I mentioned is super easy to change, if it is the other one behind the dash, that is a different story.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have a 2009 MMH. I would also appreciate anything you might have on part numbers, installation, etc.

We brought it in under warranty - first time they said Could Not Duplicate. Second time said they did something to "help" the HVAC - noise still there. Was told that is just the antifreeze running through the heater core.

Now we are out of warranty. So, looks like maybe I can get it done correctly.

Dave

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveSkal
Hey buzz, yes these actuators open and close doors in the duct work that directs the flow of air. From what you described it sounds like yours need replacement as well. I wouldn't say you need to be "concerned" it won't cause any damage but you may not get the heat or AC you desire and if the noise you hear isn't bothering you then you don't have to fix them if you don't want. The part itself is only about $30 each, so if only one is bad and you can change yourself for $30 I'd say do it. The lower one like I mentioned is super easy to change, if it is the other one behind the dash, that is a different story.
Thanks Steve, Much appreciated.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Part # is AL8Z-19E616-F

Both Actuators up front have the same PN, the one in the rear for the battery has a different PN though I have found out.

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuators

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands