Brake Repairs / Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Repairs / Costs

Originally Posted by wptski

We're just talking plain brakes.
Um not really, Hybrids have regenerative braking and are a bit different then just normal brakes.

Also pre 09 models could have TC, the book says "if equipped". I don't think they would mention it if none of the models would have it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Slampro
Um not really, Hybrids have regenerative braking and are a bit different then just normal brakes.

Also pre 09 models could have TC, the book says "if equipped". I don't think they would mention it if none of the models would have it.
The FEH has brakes. Brakes and regenerative braking are two different things.

The '09 FEH has a ON/OFF TC switch, so it's equipped.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Un-Enthusiast

Speaking of regenerative...

Since picking it up at the dealer late Tueday, it seems rare that it goes into electric-only mode. In fact, today I drove 30 miles on city streets and it did not go into electric only even once. Lots of stopping, slow smooth acceleration, and no the max AC/defroster was not on.

So I paid attention to the Assist-Charge guage and noticed as I braked it barely fluttered. I thought it used to dive towards the Charge, maybe not. When I accelerated it barely moved toward assist, even if I hit the gas harder. Please tell me this is normal sometimes and that the dealer did not screw anything up replacing the exciter ring. I've had it with this FEH not operating normally and service departments not fixing things properly.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nope, just a FE. A post started to refer to TC on a '05 FEH which it really doesn't have. The TC icon is used in the FEH to show ABS activity but on a '09 FE, it's just used to show TC activity and nothing to show ABS activity. I assume the '09 FEH is the same since it has TC too.

We're just talking plain brakes.
That is a pretty big assumption, since the FEH has completely different programming...

Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
That is a pretty big assumption, since the FEH has completely different programming...
Somethings may be unique to a FEH and some things aren't. It was established in this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ehicles-21838/ that the '09 was first to have TC because it has a ON/OFF like the FE. Sure the FEH has different programming but for certain things like TC and ABS, the operation is the same.

Without TC, it appears that a FEH uses the TC dash differently than a FE with TC, so it seems logical that a FEH with TC uses the TC dash icon as does a FE. Anybody with a '09 FEH owner's manual should be able to verify that.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Somethings may be unique to a FEH and some things aren't. It was established in this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ehicles-21838/ that the '09 was first to have TC because it has a ON/OFF like the FE. Sure the FEH has different programming but for certain things like TC and ABS, the operation is the same.

Without TC, it appears that a FEH uses the TC dash differently than a FE with TC, so it seems logical that a FEH with TC uses the TC dash icon as does a FE. Anybody with a '09 FEH owner's manual should be able to verify that.
The operation of ABS and TC is most definitely NOT the same as the conventional FE. I don't think you understood my previous post. When the FE enters a situation where ABS is needed, it simply activates ABS. When the FEH encounters the same situation, the FEH is already using the electric components to provide regenerative braking. So the software logic has to be different.

TC is used to move forward, not to stop, so no regenerative braking would be in effect, but again, the FEH has to consider the power split between electric and mechanical in the eCVT, so I would suspect that the code for TC is at least slightly different in the FEH.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
Speaking of regenerative...

Since picking it up at the dealer late Tueday, it seems rare that it goes into electric-only mode. In fact, today I drove 30 miles on city streets and it did not go into electric only even once. Lots of stopping, slow smooth acceleration, and no the max AC/defroster was not on.

So I paid attention to the Assist-Charge guage and noticed as I braked it barely fluttered. I thought it used to dive towards the Charge, maybe not. When I accelerated it barely moved toward assist, even if I hit the gas harder. Please tell me this is normal sometimes and that the dealer did not screw anything up replacing the exciter ring. I've had it with this FEH not operating normally and service departments not fixing things properly.
I would say that is not normal under any circumstances.

However the good news would be if it isn't going into EV that is covered under the 100K warranty due to it being a hybrid drive train issue.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Un-Enthusiast

Am I am not wrong in thinking this:

So I paid attention to the Assist-Charge guage and noticed as I braked it barely fluttered. I thought it used to dive towards the Charge, maybe not. When I accelerated it barely moved toward assist, even if I hit the gas harder.
The guage should NOT barely move, right?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The operation of ABS and TC is most definitely NOT the same as the conventional FE. I don't think you understood my previous post. When the FE enters a situation where ABS is needed, it simply activates ABS. When the FEH encounters the same situation, the FEH is already using the electric components to provide regenerative braking. So the software logic has to be different.

TC is used to move forward, not to stop, so no regenerative braking would be in effect, but again, the FEH has to consider the power split between electric and mechanical in the eCVT, so I would suspect that the code for TC is at least slightly different in the FEH.
So what's different about the TC and ABS? The TC uses the ABS system and in a 4WD, the TC/ABS can take over control of the 4WD system in certain situations. This is all in the '09 WorkShop Manual which I have. The FEH didn't have TC till '09!

Again, yes the FEH has different programming and I agree with that. The actual ABS in both FE/FEH is when the HCU is activated which both vehicles have. Regenerative feedback doesn't pulsate the brakes that's what the HCU does commanded by the ABS module.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
Am I am not wrong in thinking this:

The guage should NOT barely move, right?
From what you are detailed--little or no movement on the assist/charge gauge--something is not working correctly. Do you have a scanguage II unit that can display state of charge (SOC) status? The SOC changes during driving and this display could provide additional feedback on the vehicle's operation?

Quick Reply: Brake Repairs / Costs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands