braking problem --- scary

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default braking problem --- scary

i have a little over 115k on my 06 FEH. Over the past few weeks When coming to a stop the brake pedal is very stiff as if they were disabled and it is very hard to slow down. I have to stand on the pedal to get it to move down at all!! No warning or indicators of any kind. If I pump the pedal a few times, normal braking returns. This has happened at least once/week and is very intermittent. The only brake work I ever done is rear pad replacement. reservoir is full and no leaks....
in very concerned for obvious reasons, and the only other threads I've read have pedal to the floor with indicators.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: braking problem --- scary

Move the brick out from under the pedal. Seriously though, once you find and resolve the issue, please post on it.
Quick google search found this, which could help explain it:
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech...ybrid-braking/

"In manual mode, there will be no boost so the driver will have a very hard/stiff brake pedal. Braking efforts will be very high for the driver and will likely prompt them to tow the vehicle for fear of having no ability to stop at all. The complaints of “no brakes” or “barely stops” may be the common terms used by customers whose brake system has entered manual mode (fail safe mode)."

Old 08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
Move the brick out from under the pedal. Seriously though, once you find and resolve the issue, please post on it.
Quick google search found this, which could help explain it:
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech...ybrid-braking/

"In manual mode, there will be no boost so the driver will have a very hard/stiff brake pedal. Braking efforts will be very high for the driver and will likely prompt them to tow the vehicle for fear of having no ability to stop at all. The complaints of “no brakes” or “barely stops” may be the common terms used by customers whose brake system has entered manual mode (fail safe mode)."

I will most definitely post the fix..... thanks...
so what would cause the system to go into "fail safe mode" ?
nothing safe about it from my perspective....

Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grnhybrid
I will most definitely post the fix..... thanks...
so what would cause the system to go into "fail safe mode" ?
nothing safe about it from my perspective....
Just reading that post it sounds like the HCU, or Hydraulic Control Unit, is the likely culprit. Googling "ABS HCU Escape" brings up this interesting post:
http://blog.yagelski.com/2012/02/for...ke-master.html

Either way, sounds like an expensive fix, and not something I'm looking forward to experiencing.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

thanks for the blog link, after reading thru them, only one was similar to my issue.... no indicator lights, no warnings, no fault text of any kind. Just NO brakes....yikes.