Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

So i'm an alaskan, and shopping for a vehicle. I've spotted a '06 escape hybrid that looks like just the ticket for me. I want to know if any of you have really tested it at extreme cold.

I'm talking -50. I've done searches and can't find many of you talking about these, and I have a few specific concerns.

1. Emergency Cold Start. A block heater is mandatory here, but sometimes when I plug in cable will have snapped at some other location I can't see or something, or otherwise, no block heater power. How cold can these things actually start at?

2. I assume the battery will simply not work at extreme cold. Due to its location at the rear of the vehicle, it will never warm up, even on long road trips, during extreme cold here. Will it be damaged?

3. The dealer is asking for $23,995 with 23,000 miles. That seems a bit rich for me considering the price of new with all things considered. Think $20k is a realistic price? Ive checked blue book and it just doesn't make sense.

Basically, during the winter I am after the vehicle for its efficient drivetrain. At -40 and under, a 2002 V8 ford explorer with AWD gets 10-12MPG. same with my old '97 exploder. This is due to the fact that all lubricants turn to wax or gel at those temperatures. So basically I see it as a vehicle with the efficiency of a I4, the power of a V6, and 4wd/SUV traits which I need here in alaska.

By taking advantage of the low displacement and efficient engine, I will probably be able to get a better winter mileage than other other minisuv.

4. Whats the worst mileages you guys have gotten due to cold weather?

5. any problems to specifically look for when I check out the vehicle?

Thanks guys. If I get this, I look forward to the summer mileage, but winter mileage is what concerns me.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

I'll answer the ones I'm capable of.

3. That does seem like a lot of money for a two year old vehicle. A member here bought a fully loaded 06 Limited for 20k.

4. My worst tank here in Chicago was 26.4 mpg. That was when average temps were -10. The vehicle almost never went fully electric, and RPMs were usually over 2k for any speed, just to try to keep engine heat.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

HEAT! That brings up another question I forgot, which is, How fast does it warm up?

The myths are true in alaska, as very few people turn off their cars while they are making a quick coffee trip into a store or something. Additionally, about half of us don't turn off our engines when refilling gas. And also, lastly, we Start our cars and then go back inside to let them warm up a bit.

With my explorers, a problem appeared that the heat couldn't keep up when the car was idling. I would have to turn down the fan so the engine could keep at operating temperature.

1. Is it true that the engine will rev up until it hits operating temperature, and rev up to maintain it, if necessary?

2. How much heat can it put out?

I'm a pain, I know. thanks for the response brady, as 26mpg at -10 is an impressive number to me. I could only hope for 18-20mpg at -40 (which we typically spend three weeks at.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Methodical

2. I assume the battery will simply not work at extreme cold. Due to its location at the rear of the vehicle, it will never warm up, even on long road trips, during extreme cold here. Will it be damaged?
While the HV battery pack is in the rear, it is inside the vehicle with you. If you are warm, somewhat, it will be warm, somewhat.

The HV battery pack is nothing more than a collection of "D" size flashlight batteries. Do flashlight batteries get damaged up there in Alaska?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM

3. The dealer is asking for $23,995 with 23,000 miles. That seems a bit rich for me considering the price of new with all things considered. Think $20k is a realistic price?
I have a loaded, mint condition Black 06 4WD FEH (it has every single available factory option) & I paid $20K for it with 3900 miles on it. I am in the auto business however (I do IT work for a local car dealer) & I buy at dealer wholesale so use that as a guide to what you think is fair for a retail sale.

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 06-18-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM

3. The dealer is asking for $23,995 with 23,000 miles. That seems a bit rich for me considering the price of new with all things considered. Think $20k is a realistic price? Ive checked blue book and it just doesn't make sense.
Sorry can only advice on this one topic as I've only owned mine for 3 weeks

But when I was researching, I too saw a coule of 2006's that were asking $25k for, with 12-25k miles on them. We didn't really try to negoatiate as I liked the looks of the 08's anyways, but only got one dealer down from $25k for an awd to I think $21,9-22,x? sorry the number slips my mind now. It did not have the nav package, it was OK, just not new. For me, the difference of 22k (used)-28k (new) was worth it to get new. Only new qualifies for IRS tax credit up to $3k (possibly if you qualify), It's 2 model years newer, and obviously holds resale value much better than most vehicles, new software in the 08. I can't say anything about cold weather. Did the dealer say why it was traded in? That might give a suggestion, if the previous owner didn't like the cold weather abilities, is that why it's traded? I think engine block warmer is an option, but couldn't say for sure, here in OK we only dip into the -10's for brief periods (<week).

Good luck, if you buy one, hope you have as much fun in it as I am having!

Not sure if the link takes you to the exact car, but here's a 2006 32k mi, $26,9: http://www.reynoldsautos.com/ou/okla...used_inventory

Last edited by 08hybridok; 06-18-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Although Minnesota is usually not as cold as Alaska (some days we do win the Icebox trophy), I think I may be able to help a bit.
The State of Minnesota has about 25 FEHs in their fleet. The idea that a state would purchase vehicles that wouldn't work well 2-3 months out of the year is ridiculous, even for MN.
Everything I've read indicates the FEHs warm up quickly; my regular FE would warm up in about 10 minutes. The FEHs are supposed to in 5 minutes or less. As you know, all cars get upset at frigid temperatures. Fuel economy suffers, but if you start out with a more fuel efficient car, the drop-off due to cold will still make the vehicle more fuel efficient than a typical car which also loses fuel economy.
I hope my ramblings make some sense.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM

I can state one thing, we had an extended cold stretch this Winter where it basically stayed at around 2º the whole time.

My mpg was awful during that stretch (much much worse then using A/C in the Summer). I was down to something like 22 mpg at one point before the weather broke..........

~John

Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
IMy mpg was awful during that stretch (much much worse then using A/C in the Summer). I was down to something like 22 mpg at one point before the weather broke..........
You are absolutely correct.

However, the OP mentioned that he gets 10-12MPG, current, in weather conditions like that. So, 22 mpg is like double, and doubling one's mileage is always good.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Being you are up in Alaska, you might want to check out where is your closest Ford dealer with a hybrid certified mechanic on staff.

Quick Reply: Buying '06 used advice, for extreme cold.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands