Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

the dealer changed the temperature blend door and no more clicking noise since 2 months,go see your dealer

Last edited by frenchy_ca.qc; 08-20-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sascol
My 2008 Escape has made this noise from day one. I brought it to the dealer and got the 'could not recreate'. It seems to have nothing to do with the outside temp, the heat or the a/c. My noise is completely random. It will do it for 30 minutes of an entire trip or it may do it for 2 minutes and stop. I've posted about this before too. To me it sounds like a PC hard drive 'thinking'.
I'm having EXACT same problem...sounds just as you described.
Maddening.
Any solution yet?
Must I have the temperature blend door or blend door motor changed to alleviate this issue?
Man...I love the FEH but I've had it less than a month and already 2 pretty annoying issues which will likely necesitate a full day at a Ford dealer service station.
Not so cool...
Thanx

Last edited by bobbylaw; 10-18-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbylaw
I'm having EXACT same problem...sounds just as you described.
Maddening.
Any solution yet?
Must I have the temperature blend door or blend door motor changed to alleviate this issue?
Man...I love the FEH but I've had it less than a month and already 2 pretty annoying issues which will likely necesitate a full day at a Ford dealer service station.
Not so cool...
Thanx
Not yet. As you state I know this is going to require me to stay at the dealer for a while so I have not yet been motivated to bring it in. I have described the problem to them over the phone and they have claimed the sound is 'normal' for Ford vehicles but that it sounds louder in a hybrid because the hybrid is so quiet. I disagree!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast

I began hearing a clicking noise similar to these posts about a year and a half ago after an accident with a deer. I have taken it back to the body shop and ford dealer multiple times and they haven't been able to recreate the problem either. Fortunately, the body shop kept a record of my complaints and I recorded the noise on multiple occasions including with the car off. The noise is similar to these posts but I am not having any temperature control problems. After it being at the dealer for nearly a week they finally determined that it MIGHT be the blend door actuator which they say requires an 8 hour dash dis-assembly. I hear the noise only after extended heater use but like I said before it will continue after the car has been turned off. I don't hear it much during the summer months because the heater is used less. If the dealer finds that this is not related to the accident than I will have to cover the cost of the dash dis-assembly. Thank you for your posts, they are the closest diagnosis I have. As a new user to this site, it has provided invaluable information. I also got information on a TSB for the wrench light coming on from this site, unfortunately I was out of warranty and no sympathy from the dealer. They also found other things they said were causing codes so I ended up with a $500 bill. I don't trust Ford service at all and may not buy another for that reason (even though I own two now). I will post again when I have the final word from Ford.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't read this whole post so excuse me if this is already posted but it's ironic this came to the top today. My 09' is in for service for this today. They took my dash apart to look for stamps on my motors. There is a service bulletin out, if your motors stamp matches you get new motors, mine did. Kind of BS..they know they are bad but if you don't come in to complain, you don't get them...I've been living with it but went just before my warranty expired.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
MrT
Enthusiast

I tried to get this addressed on my last maintenance call. I left the car with the dealer for 3 days and it was a huge run-around and waste of my time b/c the car wasn't doing it as loudly as I usually experience and they kept telling me that there were 5 of the actuators and they had to hear them to be able to know which to replace. Basically, they weren't going to drive it around to get it to make the noise, and it wasn't doing it just sitting there with the turned on.

Can't remember if it was here, but I saw somewhere that they're about $20 each. For that, the dealer should've just replaced all of them instead of jerking me around.

Honestly, I really doubt that taking the dash apart to replace these takes 8 hr.s. It's not an Aston, right? After the last fiasco, I'm tempted to just replace them DIY.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here is an update on my noise/AC/Heat issue. After taking the vehicle in to the local dealer 5 times to have this issue fixed I finally have found relief (so far.) I recently moved and took the vehicle in to a new dealer the day before the 3-year warranty expired. I was expecting the same result but the service department at this dealer ran an AC test and found that the control unit and two actuator/blend doors were malfunctioning. They replaced the 3 parts. I have been using the system for about a month now and it really seems to be fixed and have not heard the clicking (percolating) since. Not sure if I should be mad at the old service department, or extremely happy with the new one. Maybe both. I should have taken the vehicle into this dealer 2 years ago!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

UPDATE to 8/5/2010 posting: After my Escape sat at the dealer for almost two weeks they agreed to replace the right actuator blend door as an "after warranty assistance" for $100 after the code history showed it had failed at some point. They said there was no way they could prove it was related to the accident so it was not covered by insurance. At this point it seems to be fixed, I have not heard the noise again. However, I will not fully know until I go through a winter since the noise seemed to be only heard after using the heat, not the a/c. I have had a few cold mornings of using the heat since the fix with no noise heard. I am crossing my fingers this is finally resolved.

Last edited by strmside; 09-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've noticed it as well on my 08 FEH. Sounds like it is coming from behind the dash on the passenger side. I may ask the stealership what it is. It only does it when the ignition is on.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I heard the hard drive-type noise for the first time today. Going in for service next week. We'll see if it still is making noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands