Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

This is a personal choice, so everyone's mileage will vary!

First - I oppose DRLs in general. Some of the original countries that mandated DRLs to my understanding were Scandinavian countries which have a high % of foggy and rainy days. There is some rational justification for imposing a law for DRLs to improve vehicle visibility due to the high % of days that require headlights to be on anyways.

However, in the US, we have many states with local laws that require drivers to turn on their headlights whenever it is raining and at dusk. I understand the logic and would turn mine on even if there was no law requiring it. But the original use of headlights on during clear daylight conditions were for hard to see vehicles, public safety vehicles while on an active call (eg., police, fire and rescue) and other special events (funeral processions, political heads of state, etc). Having their headlights on during the daytime with all the other vehicles on the road not having theirs on made these special vehicles/events much more visible to all drivers. But, with the less than full mental acuity of many of our politicians or senior executives of automotive companies, they said hey, I'll look good to mandate DRLs just like they did in Norway who claim accidents went down after their law went into effect!! However, they only thing that GM and Canada did was to reduce the visibility of those vehicles that really need to stand out = if all vehicles have headlights on then the police car or fire marshal car or the slow moving funeral procession or motorcycle do not become immediately visible/differentiated from the rest of the traffic. The overall net effect is a reduction in safety - especially those vehicles that need it!

Secondly - DRLs waste energy and materials unnecessarily. Even if small in the amount, headlights on consumes more energy/fuel than not being on all the time. Headlight bulbs wear out sooner - more cost on drivers and increase into the landfills.

And finally - this is a HYBRID vehicle I'm driving. I don't want my headlights on during a bright sunny day draining my battery system while I'm trying to save on fuel when I'm in EV mode. DRL + Hybrid seems to be an oxymoron...

Thus, I'll manually turn on my headlights as logic dictates, thank you very much

Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by daggerNC

First - I oppose DRLs in general. Some of the original countries that mandated DRLs to my understanding were Scandinavian countries which have a high % of foggy and rainy days. There is some rational justification for imposing a law for DRLs to improve vehicle visibility due to the high % of days that require headlights to be on anyways.

However, in the US, we have many states with local laws that require drivers to turn on their headlights whenever it is raining and at dusk. I understand the logic and would turn mine on even if there was no law requiring it. But the original use of headlights on during clear daylight conditions were for hard to see vehicles, public safety vehicles while on an active call (eg., police, fire and rescue) and other special events (funeral processions, political heads of state, etc). Having their headlights on during the daytime with all the other vehicles on the road not having theirs on made these special vehicles/events much more visible to all drivers. But, with the less than full mental acuity of many of our politicians or senior executives of automotive companies, they said hey, I'll look good to mandate DRLs just like they did in Norway who claim accidents went down after their law went into effect!! However, they only thing that GM and Canada did was to reduce the visibility of those vehicles that really need to stand out = if all vehicles have headlights on then the police car or fire marshal car or the slow moving funeral procession or motorcycle do not become immediately visible/differentiated from the rest of the traffic. The overall net effect is a reduction in safety - especially those vehicles that need it!

Secondly - DRLs waste energy and materials unnecessarily. Even if small in the amount, headlights on consumes more energy/fuel than not being on all the time. Headlight bulbs wear out sooner - more cost on drivers and increase into the landfills.

And finally - this is a HYBRID vehicle I'm driving. I don't want my headlights on during a bright sunny day draining my battery system while I'm trying to save on fuel when I'm in EV mode. DRL + Hybrid seems to be an oxymoron...

Thus, I'll manually turn on my headlights as logic dictates, thank you very much
Good post and I agree.

GaryG

Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by daggerNC

How did your DRL get enabled in the first place? I've never noticed an Escape which appeared to have them enabled.

I think that DRL or having headlamps ON do help on two lane roads in passing zones but I'd guess that a Hybrid owner doesn't even pass a horse and carriage.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

I've been looking for an '09, and most are over 36,000 miles and 300+ miles away, meaning I'd have to pretty much buy one over the phone without a warranty.

I've read all the posts, and it seems like this may be something that isn't that hard to fix on my own.

Has anyone done this repair themselves??? How much are the part(s)?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

2k3 - if it is the actuator motor down by the passenger side floor vent outlet, then it will be less than 1/2 hour (don't forget to pull out the small red locking clip before trying to detach the wiring harness). The motor is about $22 (got mine from Rock Auto). If it is one of the motors behind the center dash console.....I don't know how much time - that's what I'm trying to find out!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Back on the noise and blend door actuators and the cold driver side and the hot passenger side. My 2009 has all of that. The first problem was the noise and I mentioned that to a dealer early on and got the danged-if-we-know response. We are very rural and the car now has 53000 miles and now I'm freezing. The point I'm venting is that this is a problem that has existed all along and now I'm stuck with it. Okay anti-Ford vent over and now I really would appreciate help doing a DIY fix for the worst problem--the cold driver side. Do we know what part is reponsible for the no driver heat situation? Please and Thank you. Julian

Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hello, I noticed the same noise the other day on my '08 with 48k on it. Can not seem to isolate it either. However, my heater door doesn't work all the time either! I just had a new cd player put in too. This is why I bought the extended warranty! Wondering if it happens this summer when the heater is off.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry guys, just saw the actuator fix on pg5! Disregard my post.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash--TSB 100806B

Thanks to this board, I went to John Lance Ford in Westlake,OH and told them the symptoms and told them that the blend door actuator problem is not uncommon. The technician looked it up in the TSB database, and found it--TSB 100806B. The fix was done quickly.

One note: to do the repair, as noted on previous posts, one must disassemble the front dash. If you get this done by a dealer, reinforce the need to be careful. I have a few marks on the polypropylene parts that I'm probably going to have to melt out.

Thanks to all!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just a quick note. for future reference.
I was told by a ford dealer that the blend door is not problem.
I printed out from three different forums about this and showed the ford dealer tech. and service manager.
They never said SORRY but they did find and fix the problem.

Mark

Quick Reply: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands