Can you explain the engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you explain the engine block heater?

How cold does it get where your live? The colder the temperature, more benefit the engine block heater provides. Temperatures in the 30's might be marginal. How long does the cold temperature last and how cold is cold?--three weeks/three months? Your 30 mile drive to work is that in stop and go traffic or more like 25-30 miles per hour flowing traffic? Your vehicle will warm up more quickly with flowing traffic opposed to stop and go. You should install a front grille block (vendors Fia and Cloud Rider are well known options and exist in the photo section here) for the colder months and this can just be a piece of cardboard with zip ties-little or no cost.

Sorry Billy, I should have given more details. I live in Central NJ in the winter months it can get to 12 degrees sometimes. thanks global warming! My drive to work is all highway, except for a 3min drive to the Parkway. I was/am thinking about a grille block. Just don't like any out there right now for my MMH. Just might get a piece of cardboard! LOL
thanks
Cathy

Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cathyth3
I was/am thinking about a grille block. Just don't like any out there right now for my MMH. Just might get a piece of cardboard! LOL
thanks
Cathy
Did you look at Cloud Rider? Although they say their winter inserts should not be used above 32F.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:10 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Originally Posted by cathyth3
John, where did you get yours? I'm thinking about getting one however, the dealer will be expensive. But I don't want a crappy job down, either!
My thoughts are to get a heater and a grille cover, too. That might be over kill - what you guys think?

Cathy
I have an EBH *&* a grille cover - definitely *not* over-kill I've been plugging my EBH in even in the warm months, & I'm often in EV within 6 blocks

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I agree with Debbie. If you are a "gentle" driver, you can't make this thing over-heat!

Heat comes from gas, and the less gas you use, the less heat you make!
Simple!

The only time things can get hot is when you are heavily loaded, going up mountains, or traveling over 65 MPH when there is a lot of "wind load" on the car.

I quit using the EBH at about 45'F and left card-board up front to about 65'F.
The EBH can be used in warmer than this, but with diminishing returns.
-John

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

I have a rather stupid question... I have an 08 Hybrid that I bought in Canada. I'm pretty sure that it comes standard with an engine block heater. My stupid question is... where is the plug? I've looked at the front grill (where I assumed that it would be) but don't see anything. The manual is not helpful on the subject.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Originally Posted by brain
I have a rather stupid question... I have an 08 Hybrid that I bought in Canada. I'm pretty sure that it comes standard with an engine block heater. My stupid question is... where is the plug? I've looked at the front grill (where I assumed that it would be) but don't see anything. The manual is not helpful on the subject.
It took 2 techs at the dealership to find mine

If you still have your sticker, it would say whether your vehicle came with an EBH. If it does (or if you not a pack-rat, like me ), feel up under the front bumper, behind the license-plate. There's a little metal "shelf" back there, with a little lip on it - you should be able to feel the corrigated cord-covering, & from there, find the plug. It comes with cover that snaps on when it's not in use - mine stays dry, even going through the car-wash - so much better than a baggie & rubber-band

Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you purchased it on the west coast it may not have a BH. H

Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DebbieKatz
It took 2 techs at the dealership to find mine

If you still have your sticker, it would say whether your vehicle came with an EBH. If it does (or if you not a pack-rat, like me ), feel up under the front bumper, behind the license-plate. There's a little metal "shelf" back there, with a little lip on it - you should be able to feel the corrigated cord-covering, & from there, find the plug. It comes with cover that snaps on when it's not in use - mine stays dry, even going through the car-wash - so much better than a baggie & rubber-band
Thanks! Now I don't feel so stupid for not being able to find it. I'll take a look tonight.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenE
I apologize in advance for the length of this post. But many 08 FEH owners will hopefully want to know this.

Yeah!! Yeah!! I managed to check out the 08 FEH AWD HV Battery heater function a few minutes ago. First John (GPSMAN1), the click you hear when you plug yours in is indeed coming from within the battery pack.

For any 1st time readers, the Engine Block Heater (EBH) accessory for the 08 model year is advertised as not including the HV Battery warmer like it did in the 05-07 model years. But a warm battery is almost, if not as important, to EV operation, as CHT. The coolant water/cylinder head temp rise rapidly, and enable EV mode, but the battery temp rises slowly, compromising the charging capacity of the pack, which greatly limits EV mode time. So if you have pre-warmed water with the gold plug EBH, but a cold battery, you may get to EV mode, but you won't stay there long until the pack gets warmed. John posted some representative graphs in another thread today (thanks) showing the relationship between battery temp and charging capacity. My car has the battery warmer plug at the pack, but NOBODY with an 08 model has located the termination end of this cable in the engine compartment to attach to a 24VDC source. Thus the Ford claim that this feature was eliminated for the 2008 model year . Furthermore, another poster, Hugo, informed us his 08 model doesn't even have a plug there at the battery?????? What have you done Mr. Ford?

Anyway, I previously measured the resistance on the receptacle side at the battery with an ohmmeter (pins 1 & 6), and it showed an open. I assumed that the circuit was not connected, which would further substantiate ford's claim. But I stated earlier today in the other thread that I would check again tonight. Sure enough, with my meter set to the diode setting (> .6vdc at the probe tips), I got a quick reading like what you see when measuring the resistance of a capacitor (you EE's will understand). Reverse the leads, or use any other setting, and it measures open.

So I hooked up a 12VDC lawn mower battery and a 12V battery charger in series with an ammeter in series with this (had about 21VDC instead of 24VDC), and when I touched the probes to pins 1(neg), and 6(pos), BINGO. I heard the click John described (like a relay picking up), and measured 2.64A on my meter. Just before hooking this up, my SGII-xg showed Tav of ~68F.

The circuit IS INDEED CONNECTED on my 08 FEH AWD. The current draw is exactly as I would have expected for 21VDC input voltage. As I've stated earlier though, I don't think all 08 models are built the same .

Since I still don't know where these two wires end up (I will continue to look for that), I can Tee off the harness near the battery, rig up a 24VDC supply, and have the capability to Pre Heat my HV battery just like you 05-07 model year guys. One of the other posters reported he found two wires matching the 08 color code in the middle connector on the firewall. Why they would terminate there I don't know, because I don't have a factory wiring diagram. But now that I know the battery warmer feature actually powers up, I will try to locate on my FEH and verify with the ohmmeter. If they are P/O a larger wiring harness, I will connect my external 24VDC supply via a blocking diode.

I AM A HAPPY CAMPER NOW.
I realize this is an old thread and will start a new one if needed but after reading every thread that mentions block and battery heaters this thread gave me the most information that I was searching for.

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid (MMH) and so far it has been a great SUV.

now that we have had a few weeks of really cold weather I have found a problem. it is cold..

after researching about the cold, it's effects and the two heaters I am left with a HUGE question.

I have a battery heater connector connected to the HV battery.. two wires.. on pin 1 and 6 the wires are Blue and white and brown and white.

I also searched the front passenger corner by the windshield washer fill tube. and I have an unused stud there.

I can not find a connector in the engine compartment.

Does anyone know where the connector ends on the 2008 with the battery heater wire?

Thank you for your time and patience on this issue.

Steve

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Please post a photo of your hybrid battery wire connections and I will reply back with some information as FORD changed/eliminated the wire to the hybrid battery heater early in the 2008 model year.

Quick Reply: Can you explain the engine block heater?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands