GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Hybrids: 2005 Ford Escape FWD, 2000 Honda Insight
Default Re: Clunking noise when stopped and after shut off

I hear the "clunking" sound and it is related to the brakes depressurizing.

This sometimes occurs ~5 min after the engine is shut off.

If you had the car in EV for 4.5 minutes prior to turning the key off, you could hear this 30 seconds after exiting the car, when normally you don't etc. This time is approximte. I've not actually measured it, and may vary a few minutes either direction.

My point is:
The brake depressurize is not always 5 minutes after turning the key off.
It is sometimes much sooner in my car.
-John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 Escape 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsman1 View Post
I hear the "clunking" sound and it is related to the brakes depressurizing.

This sometimes occurs ~5 min after the engine is shut off.

If you had the car in EV for 4.5 minutes prior to turning the key off, you could hear this 30 seconds after exiting the car, when normally you don't etc. This time is approximte. I've not actually measured it, and may vary a few minutes either direction.

My point is:
The brake depressurize is not always 5 minutes after turning the key off.
It is sometimes much sooner in my car.
-John
I don't think they are describing the brake noise... they talk about a thunk that is repeated and gets softer over time... The brakes make a thunk or two and then quit. I'm pretty sure they are referring to the fuel in this case don't you think.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM
N/A

I've noticed this noise. It happens when the tank is full or nearly so and is really noticeable at a stoplight in idle stop mode. It's more pronounced if you stop more quickly than normal.

I'm really familiar with the other noise. If you are still near the vehicle a few minutes after shutdown, there's a fairly obvious clunk - whir - hiss - clunk as the brake system depressurizes.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08 Ford Escape Hybrid

I have it in my 08. I can also get the noise by rocking the car when it is sitting & the engine is off. The deler put in a new tank but no fix. THE NOISE WILL LAST FOR 40 SECONDS. will take it in next week.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Feral Engineer

Hybrids: 2007 Escape

Fuel slosh is totally harmless. The danger of something else getting messed up when the tank is removed would make me tend to just ignore it. Mine does it, too, BTW.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 Civic

I ignore all these sounds too
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2006 Escape 4WD

Its fuel sloshing in the tank... they can't "fix" it. The only reason its so evident is because your engine is off in EV and the car is so darn quiet in those times....

Just ignore it.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08 FEH AWD

Ditto here too. My 08 FEH makes the same sound when the fuel tank is near full. Harmless.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD

Interesting. I have just recently noticed this sound, as well. The sound I am hearing is definitely, NOT fuel sloshing. This is a mechanical sound, not a liquid sound, almost like a heart beat. The volume of the sound stays steady for a while before it starts to fade out. The first time I heard it was after pulling into the garage very slowly in stealth mode. I walked all the way around the car but couldn't really tell where it was coming from, as it seemed just as loud near the front of the car as it did in the back. Somewhere underneath in the middle. It started fading out just before I was going to lie down on the garage floor and listen for it. I just figured it was some kind of pump (it sounds like an an old fashioned gas pump) and just one of the many odd hybrid sounds this car makes. Doesn't do it every time I stop, just once in a while. Mine is a 2008 4WD FEH.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Feral Engineer

Hybrids: 2007 Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrent View Post
......... The sound I am hearing is definitely, NOT fuel sloshing. ............
I think what you are hearing is caused by the fuel in the tank as it bounces off the front and rear walls of the tank.

Last edited by travelover; 04-05-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Tags
2008, altima, break, car, civic, clunk, front, honda, makes, nissan, noices, noise, off, prius, shut, sound