Considering a FEH - any comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering a FEH - any comments?

Hello,

I am seriously considering getting the Escape Hybrid 4WD and was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments? I would love to hear from those who own one! I am prepared to pay the MSRP - or close to it. I live in Washington state and there are several available, but the demand is still high. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Considering a FEH - any comments?

Greetings and welcome to GreenHybrid.com!

I have a FEH and couldn't love it any more. My wife and I are getting near 30 mpg in the 4WD model and, so far, it has performed admirably.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

The FEH will not tow as much as a regular FE, if it did I'd have one myself.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have two front wheel drive models and couldn't be happier. Mileage is increasing all the time and in 11,000 miles combined, no problems yet.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

The FEH does very well for me, thanks. I'm in NYC and do lots of stop-and-go driving. Even on the expressways. I'm still trying all sorts of little tricks to stay in stealth mode, on the batteries. Tax advantages are good, too. I have the AWD model.
In comparison to the original Escape ('01 XLT)that I owned, the fit and finish are much better. I've had it for about one year now, 16k miles. I'm happy.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
FEH Advocate
Default FEH Advice & Comments

Originally Posted by mlmurray13
I am seriously considering getting the Escape Hybrid 4WD and was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments?
Advice:
1. Seriously consider buying the Ford Escape Hybrid (FEH), it is a great vehicle.
  • Escape has been rated excellent by Consumer Reports for the last couple years and the FEH has very favorable reviews with good hybrid system reliability record for a year now.
  • FEH currently has negative depreciation, where Kelly Blue Book lists higher price for a used 2005 FEH than original purchase price.
  • FEH gets ~150% better fuel economy compared to Escape V6 and you could conserve a significant amount of gas, especially if you utilize hybrid driving techniques listed on this site, but don't expect to get EPA rate unless you have ideal conditions.
  • FEH is the cleanest SUV on the market, rated as Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV).
2. Special order from Ford Dealer to get the exact options you want.
  • If you buy before Jan 1, 2006, the tax incentive is $2000 deduction that amounts to only ~$500 credit. If you take delivery in 2006, you will get tax credit of $2,600 for 2WD or $1,950 for 4WD.
  • The 2006 FEH has more options available than 2005, such as moon roof and matching trim colors. Although there are not that many 2005 FEHs left.
  • You may be able to drive a good deal, under MSRP, when you point out the Dealer will not lose money with it sitting on the lot. Also, although the FEH is in high demand and many Dealers have a wait list, there is no wait list for special orders.
Comments:
1. While the FEH has less towing capacity than standard Escape (~3000 lbs), it is rated for ~1000lbs, dependent on gross combined weight rating. This has been sufficient to tow my sailboat trailer and attach hitch mounted bike rack with 4 bikes. Hitches are now available to fit FEH, may buy online for ~$150.
2. If you have pets, it may be good to know the back compartment may be fitted with a divider fence. I have gone on family trips with my two Dalmatians riding back there.
3. After market rack accessories are available, such as Yakima, but cheaper if you don't get through Ford Dealer.
4. Downsides: The available storage compartments could be better; Escape seats could be designed more comfortable (lumbar support); and the optional 110VAC, 150Watt outlet is not worth the price (better off buying inverter with 300Watt+ for less than $100).

Good Hunting!
-Dan

Last edited by Gillman; 09-27-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Sorry to all for the OT nature of my own post but Gillman, that was an excellent post. Good use of the Font and color choices too

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

We're quite happy with our Escape Hybrid. It has handled rutted mountain "roads" well, and with a cargo carrier mounted in the hitch, taken an outrageous amount of stuff to and from Burning Man and various other festivals and camping trips.

We get about 29 mpg with the 4WD, which isn't bad living in the mountains. The RAV4 it replaced was only getting about 22 and it's a MUCH smaller vehicle.

We also have a Prius now and it's getting about 44. Maybe it will get better when fully broken-in. The Escape certainly improved after break-in.

The Escape seems to have better acceleration than the Prius at highway speeds despite the Prius's aero design and the Escape having the aerodynamics of a brick.

It is the only hybrid made in the USA (the Mariner Hybrid being essentially the same car from the same factory).