Dash noise is back

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Dash noise is back

Did we ever find the source and/or soloution to the noise in the dash?

After my blower fan on my Expedition went out (actually just was full of debris) I read online about the heater blend door (like our battery) breaking and making strange noises. Wonder if this is the same thing.

I never heard it all summer (AC), but now that's it cooled off and the auto temp blends air to stay 68-72, the noise is back. Today waiting at school it was even making noise with the Heat/AC OFF!! So I turned on the hvac system, cranked the fan then turned the fan down, no change in the noise. turned it off again, still had the noise. So then I turned the AC on to 60, noise stopped.
That's what leads me to believe it's the blend door.
Just watching a video for the Expedition online, and it's a major chore to get to the door. 1) remove the dash to get to it, or 2) remove parts of the dash to get to the box, than hack into it!

I'm still under warrenty, I just hate to have a major repair done, and done sloppy so the dash makes more noise or rattles then what was supposed to be fixed.

Any ideas?

I don't recall seeing this complaint on the other Escape boards I frequent, is there anything special about our dash vs a gas Escape? Other than the Auto Temp (available on the gas models too tho)

http://www.f150online.com/forums/hva...-pictures.html

http://www.heatertreater.net/Navigat...eo%20page.html

Last edited by 08hybridok; 10-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dash noise is back

Had mine in to get fixed, actually to fix a driver/passenger side no heat issue, but that was caused by the blend door motor. Dealer replaced it, and the noise is gone.

Cheers,

Darren

Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bryan - I too have an '08. Mine is a '08 MMH AWD, but I have an annoying "squeek" or rattle coming from the passenger side front corner of the dash area. I had it in the spring, it went away during the summer and now its back! Very annoying. I never thought about it being potentially related to the A/C - but now you have me wondering. Does this sound similiar to yours? Front passenger corner area of the dash/windsheild? Where is the blend door located - do you know? Appreciate any insights folks have. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM

It's just a low (pitch, not volume), almost popping bubblewrap sound. It's unchanged with fan speed. Mine sounds like it's in the bottom center of the dash. Last year I thiought it was more pass side bottom oriented, but can't remember now.

I assume the blend door is in a similar posistion to the links I posted for the Expy, but am not sure.

Don't even see a TSB for it.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

I have the SAME problem.
Just started/noticed a week or so ago (car is less than a month old)
Noise sounds kinda like a cd player spinning without a disc in it or with a warped disc.
Comes and goes.
Appears even when a/c or heat is totally off and car is in motion
Not sure of exact source/location...seems to be coming primarily from right around middle top of dash above Nav thing?
Absolutely maddening.
ANy solutions appreciated

Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobbylaw
I have the SAME problem.
Just started/noticed a week or so ago (car is less than a month old)
Noise sounds kinda like a cd player spinning without a disc in it or with a warped disc.
Comes and goes.
Appears even when a/c or heat is totally off and car is in motion
Not sure of exact source/location...seems to be coming primarily from right around middle top of dash above Nav thing?
Absolutely maddening.
ANy solutions appreciated
I may have heard this on my 2008 AWD FEH. It is a kind of "whirring" sound that occasionally happens. I notice it most when stopped; it lasts a few seconds and then quits. It doesn't bother me, I am assuming that it is just some part under the dash doing its thing and then stopping.

The description of a CD disk spinning is about right for the sound, although it is a bit louder than a CD disk.

I don't have the NAV, but in your case isn't the DVD back there?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:53 AM

Mine's more of a tapping/knocking sound. This is a cell phone recording this am after driving home from work, 12min drive, turned off HVAC as soon as I started the car, never turned it back on. 56 outside temp.

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...=dashnoise.flv

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast

Mine started up again today...really annoying.
Someone sugg it may be a dvd spinning for the nav package
IS there an actual "DVD" in the nav system?
If so..thats pretty stupid...my Garmin never needed a dvd
anyway its REALLY annoying!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bobbylaw
Mine started up again today...really annoying.
Someone sugg it may be a dvd spinning for the nav package
IS there an actual "DVD" in the nav system?
If so..thats pretty stupid...my Garmin never needed a dvd
anyway its REALLY annoying!!!
Haven't had a chance to take mine in, hoping I can duplicate the noise on command so dealer can't say 'can't dupe, no problem found'.

But I know it's A) Not a CD/DVD spinning - 1) it's to loud, 2) I don't have NAV or B)It's in addition to a NAV DVD noise.

I'm 98% sure it's the blend door. When it starts I can crank temp to either max & it seems to go away. It's not the outside/re-circ door, and it's not related to the fan speed.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Enthusiast

thanks
pls keep me posted
absolutely MADDENING

Quick Reply: Dash noise is back

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands